We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainsong Wildlife Sanctuary - Montezuma - NO BUENO

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 12
Rainsong Wildlife Sanctuary - Montezuma - NO BUENO

The owner is rude and unhelpful and appears to be most interested in getting the donation and requesting the signature of two petitions to support her organization.

The interiors of the cages are lacking of anything natural but dead branches without leaves. Some conditions are abhorrent, especially the turtles sitting in shallow buckets with ½ inch of filthy water and what appears to be flakes of old vegetables. Even more sad, we were told they would not be released until 12-15 more were received.

The tours are completely unorganized and unprofessional. Solid answers for the condition of the animals (some babies, some adults) and reason they are captive and/or if they are releasable are either not given or are unknown. There was a recent release made by a past volunteer of some of the animals and I can understand why. It’s best for them to have a small chance in the wild than to be kept under those circumstances.

I have been to several rehabilitation centers around Costa Rica and this one is simply not satisfactory in its present state.

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
71. Re: Rainsong Wildlife Sanctuary - Montezuma - NO BUENO

Hear, hear! I totally agree with you yellabrickcr.

St. Petersburg...
reviews: 32
72. Re: Rainsong Wildlife Sanctuary - Montezuma - NO BUENO

Agree as well yellabrickcr. To me, it comes to a point whether, red tape or no, providing a sanctuary for the animals crosses the line into abuse of the animals. Saving a wild animal, then keeping it in poor conditions with no intent to release it, is not saving it at all, merely prolonging it's condition to make money off of it.

Amsterdam, The...
73. Re: Rainsong Wildlife Sanctuary - Montezuma - NO BUENO

I only can agree with all the negative reviews arround Rainsong.

I've been here for two months, and can tell that the conditions for the animals (that are left after the goverment took most of them away) is not perfect. There are much better resque centres in Costa Rica.

Mary has good intentions, but the lack of managemend, social skills and maintenance of the property turns away volunteers, visitors and funders.

If there are people that want to change Rainsong this needs to be persons that can stand the bad social skills of mary, and can make a turnaround in the bad habitace of the animals, and the lack of knowledge of anymall care and managemend.

Otherwhise do not go there and go to another animal rescque centre in any country

Manchester, United...
reviews: 1
74. Re: Rainsong Wildlife Sanctuary - Montezuma - NO BUENO

Good evening animal lovers )

I am an animal rights activist in the UK and use Facebook daily to network with other activists and post demos etc..

I have been friends with Mary for some time on there and it has only recently been brought to my attention the deplorable conditions she is keeping these poor creatures in.

I do have some pictures which were created and used in a group - the group is solely to raise awareness on this abysmal sanctuary. I shall post them here.

I would also like to mention that Mary's racism is not only limited to Costa Ricans, but also to the Chinese. This has been made apparent by many, many conversations and posts I have either been a part of or have read in other groups on Facebook.

Hope these pictures help.

Nadine

Animal lover UK

Manchester, United...
75. Re: Rainsong Wildlife Sanctuary - Montezuma - NO BUENO

I have googled how to upload pictures on here to this thread, but cannot for the life of me figure it out! Can anybody enlighten me on how to upload pictures here from my computer?

Kind regards,

Nadine

Barrie, Canada
reviews: 46
76. Re: Rainsong Wildlife Sanctuary - Montezuma - NO BUENO

You need to post them elsewhere on the net and simply post a link to that site here. Would love (and hate) to see the photos.

Kingston, Jamaica
77. Re: Rainsong Wildlife Sanctuary - Montezuma - NO BUENO

Hello all,

My name is Sersha Godfrey, and I am a recent volunteer at Rainsong - my experience was personally a disaster and completely disheartening. I wish I had been able to read more reviews like the ones displayed above in order to have made a better informed decision on whether or not I wanted to volunteer at Rainsong. Because of the way my experience turned out, I have created a open Facebook page that I hope you would all be generous enough to join or just post your experience. Negative, positive, or neutral, it doesn't matter - all posts will be left so that future volunteers will be able to make informed decisions. The purpose is not to slander or flatter the Sanctuary, it is just to create an easily accessible forum to display everyone's version of the truth.

This is the link: www.facebook.com/groups/374882995900833/

if that doesnt work, the name is: Rainsong Wildlife Sanctuary Costa Rica Reviews

78. Re: Rainsong Wildlife Sanctuary - Montezuma - NO BUENO

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, June 21, 2013