We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jose to Montezuma

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
philadelphia
San Jose to Montezuma

Couple questions. My friend and I are planning on renting a car and driving from San Jose to Montezuma in mid july. How long is the drive? I understand it's the rainy season, will roads be an issue (by issue I mean, impassable)?

louisville
reviews: 1
11. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

There is a bus that runs from San Jose to Puntarennas every hour and it is not from the coca cola bus station. It is from a different station, which is a very good thing because I do not like being at the coca cola bus station. This is much less filled with crime and due to the frequency of the buses not a lot of wait.

louisville
12. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

To add onto Hattie's idea of going from Alajuela...you would have to take a taxi into San Jose anyway if you go that route so in the end it evens out sort of to be the same.

Montezuma, Costa...
reviews: 8
13. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

Ummm - dd, I've got to ask. Why do you think someone needs to take a taxi into San Jose, from the airport only to come back out along the same road in the same direction, to catch a bus from Alajuela, when Alajuela is next to the airport? The difference is 2-3 hours and $25-$50

For the routes mentioned from Alajuela, she really does not need to go into San Jose.

Sorry to the original poster if we have skidded from your question, but at least I hope it may be amusing?

As a PS

I also don't actually like the Coca-cola bus station in San Jose, but neither do I like any of the others. At Coca Cola. at least there is a police presence and while they cannot prevent a thief picking up your bags when you are not watching (lesson: always watch your bags!), they do deter muggings and violence

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
14. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

You can get the bus from Alajuela to Puntarenas without going into San Jose or taking a taxi from the highway to the ferry. I was just giving another option. It's a five minute ride to the bus station in a taxi - about $3 or maybe less.

Here is an example of why I wrote about the option of taking a bus going north. If you are in a hurry and you get to the bus station in Alajuela just as the bus for Puntarenas is pulling out and don't want to wait another hour........ you get the point.

"

ddherself: I don't understand this: "you would have to take a taxi into San Jose anyway if you go that route so in the end it evens out sort of to be the same." Can you explain?

louisville
15. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

The part about it would be the same was talking about the cost of the taxi fare mentioned by Yellabrickcr when there was reference to a taxi fare of $18 to $20 from the highway to Puntarennas ferry. If you can get the bus in Alajuela, then that would be the best bet but I was just throwing in the other option because it runs every hour. I am not sure we are referencing the same bus given that I have never needed a taxi to get to the ferry. The bus from San Jose drops right in the heart of Puntarennas. It is also valuable information for someone already in San Jose to know that you do not catch the Puntarennas bus in coca cola but at a different bus station and it is completely less shady.

Montezuma, Costa...
reviews: 8
16. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

Hattie - I agree, it was my question too.

I know the bus you are talking about, I have taken it a few times. It leaves San Jose regularly for Puntarenas, drops you in central Puntarenas and is max $3 taxi ride to the ferry.

This journey is not that difficult!

The bus I mentioned that came with a $18-$20 taxi ride is the one that drops you at Barranca on the highway. In my humble opinion, having done the journey a gazillon+ times, either the suggestion of the Puntarenas bus or the direct Monte bus is better, but however since someone suggested the Liberia or Border bus & getting off at Barranca, I thought I should mention the taxi fare involved involved in that option .

I think, we, as a forum, must be doing this original posters brains in and without need.

louisville
17. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

yellabrickcr...you confused me with your post about the taxi fare. I thought you were referring to the Alajuela bus since you referred your comment to being regarding #9, which does reference the Alajuela route as well as the other route. I am guessing after all of this that the Alajuela bus and the San Jose bus are probably the same and if so it runs every hour, which is pretty awesome. Sorry about the confusion but this is often what happens when communicating exclusively through writing. No need to multiple slam me.

Costa Rica
18. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

ddherself: I will write it again, this time more plainly.

The bus from San Jose to Puntarenas STOPS IN ALAJUELA to pick up passengers. Why would you

a. arrive at the airport

b. take a taxi ($25) to San Jose to the bus station

c. ride that bus back to Alajuela and be puzzled as it stops to pick up passengers at a place where you can almost see the airport

Once again: re-read my post about buses going north. Even if you were to take a taxi into San Jose to get the bus for Puntarenas, you might have just missed it and have to wait an hour. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO WAIT, you can take any bus going to a location north of Puntarenas and take the taxi into town.

OK, we got it - if you are in San Jose and want to take the bus to Puntarenas, the bus station is not at Coca Cola. Basically, anyone who is staying in San Jose will either ask at their hotel or just tell the taxi driver "Bus for Puntarenas" and he will take you to the right place.

louisville
19. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

As stated in my previous post, I figured out the confusion. No need to keep harping. We are all just trying to help people here so lighten up. I pretty well already stated what my confusion was and that I figured it out. I post on here out of enjoyment for helping people and out of my love for the country not for this. Take over as the experts guys. I'm out.

Costa Rica
20. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

I re-read this whole thread to see where we skidded off the tracks because we are now at a train wreck!

I think it is difficult many times to write and read posts when you cannot hear or see the person. The written word always seems open to interpretation by the person reading it.

If I have seemed impatient and snappish with you, ddherself, I apologize. The thread seemed to be going in loops and I was trying to figure out how to make the whole thing really clear.

I hope that you will not leave the forum - you have a lot to contribute.