We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Costa Rica-Travelling from San Jose to...

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Ontario
First time to Costa Rica-Travelling from San Jose to...

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I will be travelling from San Jose to Montezuma for 5 days and then to Mal Pais for 5 days. We are flying in from Canada and are arriving at 2PM. We are not planning on staying in San Jose overnight, but rather are planning on travelling to our destination that day.

I have looked at the Air Sansa and natureair flight timetables, and it appears as though we won't be able to fly into Tambor after 2pm (there are only morning flights). What would you suggest that we do-rent a car, or take the bus? Is there a website that offers bus schedules? How much does renting a car cost? Are the roads difficult to navigate without previous experience driving in Costa Rica? What would you imagine to be the quickest and most effective way to get there?

Are there any alternative ways for getting around or getting to our destination that you would suggest? I am very excited for our trip but also a little bit nervous about the travelling from place-to-place. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

chicago
11. Re: First time to Costa Rica-Travelling from San Jose to...

sorry, i meant montezumaexpeditions.com!

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 85
12. Re: First time to Costa Rica-Travelling from San Jose to...

If you really want to drive that day to Montezuma, i recommend getting a driver. it is hard finding your way around in the dark. Also, it will be time-consuming because of the ferry. It will get dark about 6:30 p.m. Be sure to check the ferry time schedule from Puntarenas to Paquero. You have to get there about 45 minutes early. You will enjoy the trip most if you do it in the day. The ferry ride is very scenic and the road from Paquero to Montezuma also pretty.