We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road conditions from Paquera to Montezuma

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
chicago
reviews: 1
Road conditions from Paquera to Montezuma

Hi! We are planning to travel around Costa Rica for a few weeks at the end of April/beginning of May. We want to spend a night in Montezuma and are trying to figure out the best way to get there. We're renting a car and want to know how the road conditions are from Paquera to Montezuma if we take the ferry or if we are better off taking leaving the car in Jaco and taking the jet boat to Montezuma. Any advice is most welcome! Thanks!!

Ramer, Alabama
reviews: 3
1. Re: Road conditions from Paquera to Montezuma

the road is pretty tough and rocky. There is a very steep hill as you approach Montezuma that I imagine would be very tricky during the rainy season

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
reviews: 13
2. Re: Road conditions from Paquera to Montezuma

Paquera to Cobano is paved (42 K.) and will take around an hour.

From Cobano to Montezuma, the first K. is paved and the last 7 K. is dirt road, which is rough and washboard, down a hill to town and the beach.

If it rains, it will only be for a short time in the afternoon or at night.

You will have no problems driving.

You will appreciate a vehicle to get around in while you are in Montezuma.

Norfolk Virginia
reviews: 19
3. Re: Road conditions from Paquera to Montezuma

Not a bad ride , yes its a tad rough but doable. I would recommend getting there in daylight and Ron is very very very right that switchback right before you get to Montezuma will startle you to say the least. Its a steep downhill then the pavement stops and it drops off a few inches followed by a sharp right. Enjoy

San Francisco...
reviews: 104
4. Re: Road conditions from Paquera to Montezuma

I've driven that road several times - like the above said, it's well paved all the way to Cobano and then dirt/gravel the rest of the way. It's about 1.25 hours driving.

Montezuma is pretty small and a car isn't really needed if you plan on staying in town. I wouldn't leave my car in Jaco and if you are going to go all the way to Montezuma by boat or car you should really stay more than just one night

A nice place
reviews: 5
5. Re: Road conditions from Paquera to Montezuma

Now in the dry season the road should be still in good conditions, but dusty. In the rainy season you will have to drive to some big puddles but it will be less dusty. You can get detailed directions from www.yourtravelmap.com

Have a good trip!

Virginia
reviews: 8
6. Re: Road conditions from Paquera to Montezuma

We just drove from Montezuma to the Paquera ferry, 2 weeks ago. It was not bad at all. As you get closer to Montezuma, the road is not paved and is very bumpy, hilly and dusty, if it has still not rained. But compared to our drive from the other ferry stop, north of Paquera, it was a breeze. The night we arrived to take the ferry to Paquera, they said that there weren't enough cars and we had take ferry to Playas Naranjo. There were no lights and the road was extremely rough. What a trip - in every way! We are back in Virginia, but my heart is still in Montezuma-especially with the hungry dogs and cats I was feeding. For horse tours, contact *Deanne Sharer. She is a vet in Cobano and is helpful and speaks English. She has healthy happy horses; beautiful moonlight beach tour and a horse ride to a waterfall, in Montezuma. Call (011 506) 8837-8244, while outside Costa Rica, or 8837-8244, during vet hours locally.

Santiago
7. Re: Road conditions from Paquera to Montezuma

Laurney:

The road is in good conditions, you can drive easily from Paquera to Cobano in a concret way, from Cobano to Montezuma the road is without concret but in good conditions, the road to Santa Teresa is in regular conditions but not really bad, we have Alma Restaurant in Santa Teresa , if you like visit Santa Teresa, regards

Rodrigo

San Jose, Costa Rica
8. Re: Road conditions from Paquera to Montezuma

Do it...is not a big deal...of course some big rocks and some dust or mud if wet...but a lot of fun...you need a car once in Montezuma!

roadadvisor@hotmail.com

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

9. Re: Road conditions from Paquera to Montezuma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:21 am, October 26, 2009