We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental around Montezuma

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, British...
reviews: 1
Car rental around Montezuma

I'll be spending around 5 days in Montezuma in December (around Christmas) and am considering a trip to Arenal from there. Does anyone know of a place I could get a rental car around Montezuma? Thx.

San Francisco...
reviews: 87
1. Re: Car rental around Montezuma

There is no car rental facility anywhere near there. How are you getting to Montezuma? The nearest place to rent a car would probably be in Puntarenas. I also hope you realise that Arenal is about a 6 hour drive from Montezuma.

Vancouver, British...
2. Re: Car rental around Montezuma

Thanks, Sean.

After I posted the message about the car rental, I learned that Interbus has a service going from Playa Manzanilo to La Fortuna.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to hire a taxi from Montezuma to Manzanilo, so we could then catch the Interbus to La Fortuna? Thx.

San Francisco...
3. Re: Car rental around Montezuma

Manzanillo is on the Caribean side of Costa Rica. Interbus goes to Montezuma so they should be able to take you to Arenal

Vancouver, British...
4. Re: Car rental around Montezuma

Whew. It's a good thing you've set me straight. There's a Manzanillo on the Nicoya Peninsula just north of Malpais as well. Obviously, the one advertised on the Interbus schedule is the Manzanillo on the Carribean. How confusing when two towns in the same country have the same name.

Thanks again, Sean!

Vancouver, British...
5. Re: Car rental around Montezuma

FYI:

I was right the first time. There is indeed an interbus that travels from Playa Manzanillo, Guanacaste to La Fortuna. I'm still considering this option. Thx.

San Francisco...
6. Re: Car rental around Montezuma

The Playa Manzanillo that is near Montezuma is in Puntarenas province. Ther is another Playa Manzanillo in Guanacaste but I seriously doubt that Interbus goes to either location as they are remote and not big tourist destinations.

You are in luck however, as Interbus route 170 goes from Montezuma to la Fortuna.

You can get more information here http://www.costaricapass.com

San Francisco...
7. Re: Car rental around Montezuma

One more thing...

There are a few "travel agents" in Montezuma. Who might be able to help you get to La Fortuna. I think there is one place on the right of the El Sano Banano internet cafe that could arrange to get you there.

Vancouver, British...
8. Re: Car rental around Montezuma

Hey Sean,

I checked out the website you gave for the Costa Rica pass, and it takes me to the Interbus site -- the very same one from which I got my info. Again, it does not show a connection from Montezuma. But the one from Manzanillo, Guanacase is bookable. Why would they advertie a route that doesn't exist? Thanks again for your suggestions.

San Francisco...
9. Re: Car rental around Montezuma

Ok, I stand corrected but, according to my map, the Playa Manzanillo in Guanacase is pretty far from Montezuma. Montezuma and the nearby Playa Manzanillo are located in Puntarenas province. Aparantely there are three Playa Manzanillos in Costa Rica.

There is a way to get to La Fortuna from Montezuma but you might have to transfer in San Jose or Alajuela.

Vancouver, British...
10. Re: Car rental around Montezuma

Right you are, Sean. It's good to know that Montezuma is in Puntarenas.