We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montezuma Current Info ?

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
reviews: 8
Montezuma Current Info ?

We are trying to take our one big family trip before 2 kids leave for college. We made reservations at hotel/cabins in Montezuma because of the healthy horses they had available. Now, we find out that they have no horses, in spite of their lovely, but very out-of-date web site. So I Googled horses in Montezuma and went to tour group site that had several trips on horse back. Now, that tour group says that only one hotel in the area has horses anymore, and they are reserved for their guests. The hotel is beyond our budget and not ideal for teens, more for honeymooners and those seeking spa treatments.

Also, read on several sites that Montezuma was ideal for walking. Now, I am told that due to a giant hill to get into town, that we need a car the whole time. Also, all our day trip ideas were listed as available on horseback which is no longer true.

We will be there at Easter and read that there was a special celebration for it. But that otherwise, Montezuma was a fairly quiet, artsy community. Now I am being told that Easter is the same as any other time, except some things are closed, as Montezuma is one long party. Please help with current info. If we could get our money back, with what I am hearing, we would not go. Help?

Michigan
reviews: 1
11. Re: Montezuma Current Info ?

Hi Jazzy. I just stayed there. It's quite a hike. YOU NEED A CAR. Or just stay somewhere else. I plan to post a detailed review at some point, but if you want details PM me.

"Montezuma is one long party"?? No my friend. It is not.

Michigan
12. Re: Montezuma Current Info ?

Just in case you don't PM me and you do make the hike...

BEWARE!!! THERE IS BARBED WIRE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE HIKE, not pointed out to us or mentioned by the guy that was taking us into town. It is right when the trail stops going down and turns to the left. Don't fall down here!

Also one can hike down the main road (the owner didn't actually bother showing us how to get into town, we were fortunate that one of the other guys happened to be going anyway). In my estimation this is unsafe and should not be done, even in the middle of the day, due to the danger of being hit by a car that's going just a little too fast.

Michigan
13. Re: Montezuma Current Info ?

As for the whether or not to go bit, you really need to provide some info as to what you're looking for out of your vacation. For us Montezuma was the beach town to relax after our busy week in Alajuela and La Fortuna. We went for a hike to waterfalls and to the beach. I don't imagine what else you would do. Ziplining for the thrill maybe? (Of course Montezuma isn't the prime location for this sort of thing, but still good).

If it helps, here's what's in town:

-10 or so restaurants/bars and cafes

-3 or so souvenir shops

-a grocery store

-1-2 convenience stores

-2-3 tour arranging companies/stuff for tourists

-2 internet cafes

That's pretty much it. That and the beach (which has some pretty rough tide if you don't go out to the right ones). If that's what you want Montezuma is for you.

Virginia
14. Re: Montezuma Current Info ?

Hi! Happy to get current info as we are only 8 days from take off! We are staying at Cabinas Playas Las Manchas. Only reviews that I can find on it are ancient and one is in German, as I recall! Hopefully, I will be able to give the place a positive update when we return. We now have some riding lined up with Indiana Horses, in Montezuma. The owner Deanne, has helped us with some questions. I gather that the cabins are very close to the beach, & 15 min. walk from town. We decided to rent a car from Budget at the airport, as there is a local Budget, in case there is a problem with car. Sorry the snorkling was so bad. Was planning on buying just mask and snorkle, of average quality - like $40, to bring. Are there are tide pools for swimming? What are the waves like in Montezuma (well, hopefully not IN Montezuma)? Thinking of doing day trip to Tortuga, moonlight beach ride, horse ride to waterfall, and zip line and m/b ultra light plane for husband, Sat. am market and the nature preserve. Any other ideas and input welcome! Thanks!

Michigan
15. Re: Montezuma Current Info ?

Ack! After my post I had this sneaking suspicion come over me. I didn't stay at Las Manchas,

PLEASE DISREGARD THE EARLIER POST about the barbed wire.

Those all sound like good ideas. I really liked the waterfall but I think we were in Montezuma looking for something a little different than you so I couldn't really give you much advice about anything else. If you like surfing go to the surf towns up the coast. The waves were rough in Montezuma but there's couple beaches that are more suitable for swimming the further east you go (i.e. past town). I'd say it's 20 min.+ to town from Las Manchas fyi.

Virginia
16. Re: Montezuma Current Info ?

Thanks for your input. Glad to hear that we can disregard the barbed wire info!

17. Re: Montezuma Current Info ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:21 am, October 21, 2009