We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montezuma Current Info ?

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
reviews: 8
Montezuma Current Info ?

We are trying to take our one big family trip before 2 kids leave for college. We made reservations at hotel/cabins in Montezuma because of the healthy horses they had available. Now, we find out that they have no horses, in spite of their lovely, but very out-of-date web site. So I Googled horses in Montezuma and went to tour group site that had several trips on horse back. Now, that tour group says that only one hotel in the area has horses anymore, and they are reserved for their guests. The hotel is beyond our budget and not ideal for teens, more for honeymooners and those seeking spa treatments.

Also, read on several sites that Montezuma was ideal for walking. Now, I am told that due to a giant hill to get into town, that we need a car the whole time. Also, all our day trip ideas were listed as available on horseback which is no longer true.

We will be there at Easter and read that there was a special celebration for it. But that otherwise, Montezuma was a fairly quiet, artsy community. Now I am being told that Easter is the same as any other time, except some things are closed, as Montezuma is one long party. Please help with current info. If we could get our money back, with what I am hearing, we would not go. Help?

Ahsahka, Idaho
reviews: 12
1. Re: Montezuma Current Info ?

Where are you staying? There are mountains in the area, but town itself is flat and on the water. A vehicle rental would open up many recreational things for you to do from hiking the parks in the area, and visiting a couple of the near by towns. The butterfly gardens are awesome just out of town, the water falls above town and also east of town on the coast. A boat ride/snorkle trip is cool. I think you are worring to much, your kids will love it. We did the same thing with our two youngest before collage a few years ago. They were never bored and loved it. If you are truley worried, maybe you should look into the Samara/ Carrillo area. The area is a bit larger, but still Costa Rican, and a few things more to do. Very easy to drive to from Liberia, a bit longer from San Jose.

Pensacola, Florida
reviews: 56
2. Re: Montezuma Current Info ?

Having booked Easter Weekend

at one of the nicest beaches in CR

it will be crowded.

Plenty of walking NOT strenuous.

Rental car would be a plus for freedom/flexibility

Would not hesitate to go will still be VERY nice.

Virginia
reviews: 8
3. Re: Montezuma Current Info ?

Hi! We will be staying at Cabinas Playas Las Manchas. I gather that it is not quite in town, so perhaps there is a giant hill between it and town? A travel agent who lives there, said that you wouldn't want to climb the hill more than once. Have you heard of this hotel? Thanks for your response!

Edmonton
4. Re: Montezuma Current Info ?

Montezuma is a very laid back town. I think I know the area you will be staying - we stayed very close to there in November and the hill is very steep and more suitable for driving rather than walking. We are lucky that our friend lives there and took his car into town so we never worried!

We had a car the entire time we were in CR and were so glad we did as we spent time in many towns and beaches. Be very careful to not leave ANYTHING in it however, as car robberies are the norm.

The beach is very long and if you walk through the paths you will come upon many other beaches (one that unfortunately looks like a land fill) but others that are absolutely stunning and even waterfalls. We really enjoyed our time in Montezuma.

Another good more resort-y place to go that has horses, ATVs, jetskis etc is a hotel in Playa Panama - about 30 minutes from the Liberia Airport (listed as #1 by Tripadvisor if you search Playa Panama). We also stayed there in November and it is right on the beach.

I always think a vacation is what you make of it so anything can turn out to be fun!

Edmonton
5. Re: Montezuma Current Info ?

We visited Montezuma in November to visit friends who live up the hill you speak of! It is quite the hill and we were very glad to drive into town each day!

The town of Montezuma itself was fun to visit and the beach went on for miles - just walk through the jungle paths and you get to the next beach and then the next (unfortunately one looks slightly like a land fill) but the rest are stunning!

Another great family place is the hotel listed as #1 by TripAdvisor in Playa Panama (not sure if I can put the name) which is 40 minutes max. from the airport in Liberia. This hotel is on the beach with a fantastic pool area, horses, ATVs and jetskis. Cheap rates can be found on a number of sites.

We did have a car the entire time we were in Costa Rica as we travelled around alot but the roads can be quite poor and you can't leave ANYTHING in the car as robberies are quite common.

Costa Rica is a beautiful country and I hope you have a fantastic time!

Edmonton
6. Re: Montezuma Current Info ?

oops sorry for the number of responses! It kept saying posting failed :)

Long Island, NY
reviews: 5
7. Re: Montezuma Current Info ?

Just returned from Monetzuma. We stayed there 3 nights and loved it. Unfortunately we stayed at one of the hotels that is at the top of the very large hill. You do not want to do this more then once trust me. Going down is not bad. We stayed 2 full days would have liked at least one more full day maybe two but anymore then 4 full days i think is a bit much there. It is almost impossible to get a taxi at night to get back to the hotel and there is no way you can hike that hill at night. Pitch black, you cant even see your hand in front of your face plus all the wildlife noises makes it a bit scary. We tried one night and turned around. A couple nights we had to beg people for rides to our hotel. Thank goodness they all understood and were happy to take us.

I would recommend renting ATV one day and driving around nicoya especially up the coast to stop at all the beautiful beaches and swim and see inland areas plus great views. It cost $80 for 12 hours so worth it one of the best things we did there. I can also tell you about this great waterfall very few people know about if you are intrested. We also did day tour of Tortuga, soo awesome. You must do it. Snorkeling and the beach are great. We booked everything through Zuma tours.

I am not sure how long you were planning on staying in Montezuma for? Maybe you should plan on spending 3 full days in Montezuma then heading to Manuel Antonio for a few days. You can get a taxi boat to Jaco from Montezuma and then it is little over an hr to M.A Park from there. It was one of my favorite spots... great beaches, tons of wildlife and great food places. Message me if you have any other questions.

Boston...
reviews: 20
8. Re: Montezuma Current Info ?

we just came back from 6 days at Ylang Ylang and my husband and kids booked a horseback riding trip with the lodge. My husband was very impressed with the quality of the horses, and the owner of the operation who was a vet herself. They rode through the mountains and then to a waterfall -- all totally private - no one else around. My husband thought the tour was top notch. We don't know the name of the Horse Tour place - but if you email Ylang Ylang to ask, I'm sure they will be more than helpful. have fun. Also - the other cool thing to do in the area is a nature tour of Curu Wildlife Sanctuary -- great monkeys and beautiful beach -- make sure you have enough time for the beach.

louisville
reviews: 1
9. Re: Montezuma Current Info ?

I never rent a car there but then again, I only walk in town and then long walks along the path that follows along the beaches.

There was a horrible horseback company right in town that I would stear everyone away from. Hopefully they are out of business. I was told that any level could ride because you could control the speed of the horse. This was so not true. I was jarred up and down so hard that I couldn't take it anymore because all the horse would do was run. I got off and made them take the horseback and walked myself back to Montezuma. Prior to this I almost got decapitated because the horse ran full speed toward a wooden arch that would have cut my head off. It stopped just in time but so abruptly that i actually got flung onto the horses neck where I hung on for dear life.

The horseback tour posted by the other person sounds pretty sound so maybe you should go through them.

10. Re: Montezuma Current Info ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:25 am, February 23, 2010