We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montezuma or Malpais w/ Kids?

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 66
Montezuma or Malpais w/ Kids?

We're headed to the Nicoya Peninsula with my kids ages 5 & 7 and trying to decide whether to settle in Montezuma or Malpais. We'll have a car and plan on exploring a bit, but will also be spending a lot of our day on the beach or at a pool

Can anyone recommend

a) which location is better

b) hotel suggestions (I'm leaning towards Ylang^2)

We need

* clean, swimmable beaches with nice sand

* pool

* proximity to day trips, e.g. snorkeling, jungle trips, gentle hiking

* hotel/condo on the beach

Thanks for your input!

Pensacola, Florida
reviews: 56
1. Re: Montezuma or Malpais w/ Kids?

www.ylangylangresort.com

louisville
reviews: 2
2. Re: Montezuma or Malpais w/ Kids?

Ylang Ylang resort is very scenic.

It is hard for me to say which location is best for kids but I will focus on the swimability. The beach right at Ylang Ylang is rocky. There is a good deal of volcanic rock. While it is very pretty they may not like it for swimming. If you continue down the beach away from town you will reach Playa Grande, which is a relatively calm swimming beach with few if any people. I like this best for swimming. Malpais has such a strong current that I would be fearful letting children swim in it. This is why it is such a popular surf spot. When I tried to swim there I had difficulty even standing in the water if it got above my knees. With a car, however you will be moving about some and can at least see both of these areas.

3. Re: Montezuma or Malpais w/ Kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:25 am, February 23, 2010
4. Re: Montezuma or Malpais w/ Kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, September 18, 2009