We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

peninsula di nicoya

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 7
peninsula di nicoya

Going on my first trip to costa rica and have about a week with a 4x4 in august. how accessible is the coast of the nicoya peninsula if i want to hit a few spots. just want to swim, hike, see waterfalls, and hang out...any advice would be helpful.

New England
1. Re: peninsula di nicoya

If you want to see the southern beaches (Montezuma/Mal Pais/Santa Theresa) take the ferry from Puntarenas to Paquera and then to Cobano. For the northern beaches (Samara, etc and north on the coast) the "Friendship Bridge" at the north end of the gulf is a better option. You can get from San Jose to the northern or southern ends of the peninsula fairly easily in about half a day. The difficulty lies in getting from the north end of the peninsula to the south. There just ain't no easy way to do it. I like Montezuma (I'll be there in August, also) and it seems to have all the things you are looking for. It might be worth some research for you.

San Francisco...
reviews: 87
2. Re: peninsula di nicoya

Like the previous posted said, spend a few nights in Montezuma and the rest of the time in Mal Pais. Montezuma has waterfalls and is near a nature preserve good for hiking and Mal Pais has some of the best beaches in Costa Rica!

reviews: 7
3. Re: peninsula di nicoya

thanks guys...i leave this sunday and i cant wait...we have 3 nights booked in montezuma and left the next seven nights open...is it realistic to head north towards playa flamingo or back over to puntarenas then south towards manuel antonio?

New England
4. Re: peninsula di nicoya

With seven nights to spare you are not exactly pressed for time. There are a lot of nice beaches farther north on the peninsula (Conchal, Guiones, etc) but getting to them is never easy. You usually have to backtrack toward the center of the peninsula, go north a bit and then turn off on a poor road for the next beach. From Montezuma I think I, personally, would pick Manuel Antonio. The park is beautiful (well worth the trip), there are places to stop along the way to break up the ride and if you like you could easily continue on farther south. On our first trip we went from Manuel Antonio to Dominical then headed up into the mountains through San Isidro on the highway back to San Jose. On that road we stayed in a hotel called the Trogon Lodge and it was one of the nicest on the trip. The climate in the area is nothing like you will have gotten used to (electric heaters in the cabins and a fireplace in the restaurant).