We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a home for 1 week. Montezuma vs Quepos (MA)

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville
reviews: 1
Renting a home for 1 week. Montezuma vs Quepos (MA)

My family of 8 adults and 3 kids are heading to CR for the Thanksgiving break. I have two rental homes on hold and will be pulling the trigger on one of them tomorrow or the next day. One place is in Quepos, the other is in Montezuma. It seems like Montezuma is a much more charming town, but I am a tiny bit concerned about it not being a central location for the more famous activities (is Manuel Antonio that great? Do we need to get over to Monteverde?). My family likes the idea of monkeys coming to the house in Quepos (strangely a huge selling point. How friendly are the monkeys in Montezuma?). But, we also want to be able to hang out on the beach with a cooler of frosty beverages. -Or hang out at palapa style restaurant, feet in the sand, relaxing (Is the closest beach to Quepos inside MA park? Do you have to pay every time you enter?). And finally, a number of us in the group will be wanting to surf.

Can anyone shed some light on my little predicament?

San Francisco...
reviews: 87
1. Re: Renting a home for 1 week. Montezuma vs Quepos (MA)

Quepos is a dump compared to Montezuma. The only advantage that Quepos might hold over Montezima is its promxity to Manuel Antonio park. However, the MA area is super crowded and touristy. Monteverde is about 4-5 hours from Quepos so it couldn't really be done on a day trip. The main beach at MA is outside the park but the the nicest beaches are located inside and require paying an entrance fee and its a bit of a hike to get there (especially if carrying a cooler full of beer). In my opinion MA is only worth visiting for a day or two at most.

Montezuma is way more charming, less expensive, less crowded, and has incredible food. Some of the best surf in Costa Rica is at Mal Pais which is a 30min drive from Montezuma. Montezuma has plenty of monkeys as well.

I would definately pick Montezuma over Quepos/Manuel Antonio any day!

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 85
2. Re: Renting a home for 1 week. Montezuma vs Quepos (MA)

Hi, Dominique. My family (with 2 teen daughters) are heading there the same week as you. We have been to MA before and now going to Montezuma. We picked Montezuma in part because I had heard that there were lots of monkeys around, so I guess that's a common lure for kids! MA is great, but you have to catch a bus or carefully park your car outside the park, closed on Mondays. With Montezuma, you can be right at the beach and walk to all restaurants. MA has some great restaurants, but if you're on the hill, they're stretched along a road. The city of Quepos didn't look too charming if that's where you'd be staying. It's much prettier up the hill, plus a lot closer to the park.

Nashville
3. Re: Renting a home for 1 week. Montezuma vs Quepos (MA)

Thanks guys! I knew Montezuma was the right place. Hey snorkel luvin, maybe we'll run into each other while we're there. I'll be the one trying not to spill my drink while chasing two out of control 3 year olds. Best regards..

San Francisco...
4. Re: Renting a home for 1 week. Montezuma vs Quepos (MA)

You are going to love Montezuma! Make sure to eat at La Playa de las Artistas and Cafe Cocolores - some of the BEST food that I had while in Costa Rica at rediculiously low prices!

Oh yeah - the pizza at Pizza Net next to Chico's Bar is some of the best I've had!

Nashville
5. Re: Renting a home for 1 week. Montezuma vs Quepos (MA)

Now this is the info I need! Let me know if you think of anything else. Thanks.

San Francisco...
6. Re: Renting a home for 1 week. Montezuma vs Quepos (MA)

El Parque Cafe is good too for a cheap meal and it's right on the beach (with a sand floor), The bakery Cafe on the north end of town has sandiches that are great for taking for a picnic on the beach, the mocha chillers at El Sano Banano are awesome! Also chek out the organic farmers market in the park on Saturday mornings.

San Francisco...
7. Re: Renting a home for 1 week. Montezuma vs Quepos (MA)

And to find monkeys - There is a family of monkeys that live near the north side of town. If you ask the people at the Luz de Manos they can probably point them out to you. We saw monkeys crossing the road when we took a hike south of town on the road to Cabuya

Nashville
8. Re: Renting a home for 1 week. Montezuma vs Quepos (MA)

Monkeys crossing the road? That rules!

Did you guys do any of the regional tours (canopy, horse ride to the falls, Cabo park)? Also, can you recommend a grocery store and a swimming beach that would be suitable for toddlers? I can't think of anything else right now. Hope you're having a nice evening.

Best regards!

San Francisco...
9. Re: Renting a home for 1 week. Montezuma vs Quepos (MA)

We didn't do any tours or anyhting like that. They do have horseback riding to some waterfalls that are about an hour north of town and are supposed to be very nice.

There is the Super Montezuma grocery store in town that has just about everything you will need. Your house seems like it it up on the ridge so you will probably be close to Cobano as well where you can probably find a larger grocery store if the Supoer Montezuma dosn't have what you need. There is a fairly stong rip tide in Montezuma so I dont know if the ebaches would be sutable for toddlers. Their is a stream that exits into the ocean on the beach just north on town that might be ok for a toddler to play in although you might be concerned about possible polution in that stream.

New England
10. Re: Renting a home for 1 week. Montezuma vs Quepos (MA)

South of town (between Hotel Los Mangos and Amor de Mar) there is a sandy beach where the Rio Montezuma enters the ocean. My kids always like playing in that spot...as do a lot of the local kids (only at low tide, though). Several of the beaches farther south (between Montezuma and Cabuya) are supposed to be safe for swimming (and fairly deserted). Ocean currents all around Costa Rica can be erratic (and dangerous) so supervision of the little ones is a good idea. If in doubt, ask the locals. Some of the more dangerous areas are often marked with a red flag (and the safer ones with a green flag) but this is not always the case. I've read somewhere that good for surfing generally means bad for swimming. Hotel Los Mangos is also, usually, a good spot to see monkeys. They like the mango trees. Once you hear the roaring of your first group of Howler Monkeys (aptly named) you'll know when they're coming! Just keep your eyes open...monkeys are everywhere. And on the subject of food...try dinner at the Hotel Moctezuma (next to the beach with a nice second floor dining room) and coffee/desert at the Cafe Iguana at the (only) main intersection in town. You can sit and watch the huge local buses try to get up and down the street.