We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

never been to costa rica

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
costa rica
never been to costa rica

my boyfriend and i are planning a trip to costa rica in august. we have never been. we know NOTHING about it. any suggestions about where to stay or anything at all!!! we want to stay near some happenings for sure as well as staying on the beach. any help?? thanks, tara

St. Petersburg...
Destination Expert
for Osa Peninsula
reviews: 30
1. Re: never been to costa rica

I would suggest you go buy one of the several guidebooks out there and narrow down what type of things & places you're interested in. Manuel Antonio & Arenal are popular with 1st time visitors.

nowhere
reviews: 10
2. Re: never been to costa rica

Also do a web search for Costa Rica Travel and you'll find lots of info to get you started. check out Costa Rica Expeditions and and few other tour suppliers. It will give you some ideas on itineraries for the best sightseeing.

New England
3. Re: never been to costa rica

Buying a guide book or two, as another poster mentioned, is an excellent start to give you an overview of the country. I've used the Lonely Planet guide with good results and have just ordered a Moon Handbook to see how that works. As to what to do: horseback riding, whitewater rafting, river tubing, canopy (zip line) tours, lots of hiking, lots of beaches, kayaking, snorkeling, fishing, sightseeing (volcanos, waterfalls, jungle, cloudforest, mountains, valleys), coffee tours, banana tours, the list goes on and on. Look through the guide books to see what there is to offer and where, then try to narrow down your list. I'll be there in August (our fifth time) and we are going to Samara and Montezuma. On our first trip we had three weeks and did Arenal (volcano), Monteverde (cloudforest), Manuel Antonio, Dominical (beaches) and San Gerardo de Dota (in the mountains) and loved them all. There is almost too much to choose from. The internet is a good source for info, also. Most hotels have very informative web sites. On our first trip we stayed at seven different hotels, all for the first time, all based on the impressions we got from their web sites. Six of them exceeded our expectations and the seventh was okay but not great. Look over a decent map, too, as travel time between destinations can be an issue. It never looks very far but that is deceiving. If you think it will take an hour it will take three.

yucaipa, Ca.
reviews: 2
4. Re: never been to costa rica

I just got back from the Jaco area and you will find it all in a relatively small radius. You can do the tour thing or explore on your own. If you pay more than thirty dollars a night for a hotel you didn't look very hard. All kinds of beaches to choose from. Knowing spanish will get you better deals. I like having a rental car; I rented one from thrifty for seventeen days and the total bill including insurance, taxes, and fees came to less than four hundred seventy-five dollars. I was there with my two daughters (20 and 18) and they loved it as much as I do. We all agree that we will never go to hawaii for a vacation again. If you want more info send me your e-mail address (you may not want to give out your personal e-mail address)and I can answer specific questions better over the phone. Regardless of your preparation you wiil have the best vacation of your life and be bummed that you're not staying longer! BOYCOTT BALI!

San Francisco...
reviews: 88
5. Re: never been to costa rica

August will be the height of rainy season. I do believe that the north pacific area such as Tamarindo get less rain than the southers areas. Tamarindo is a fun surf town with a party atmosphere. Stay at Hotel Pasatiempo for a gurarnteed good time

6. Re: never been to costa rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, June 24, 2005
7. Re: never been to costa rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, June 24, 2005
reviews: 1
8. Re: never been to costa rica

Forget the Tours and such. Capital B for boring. I used to live in San Jose (downtown, Capital) and went to the beaches all around every month for about 4 days. Been to all the Popular beaches and to some of the interior jungle / Volcano tours.

Do you guys surf?

Do you like to hike?

*Don't forget to pack plastic bags and stick them into your backpack.

I would pick Fortuna and dip into the Hot Springs near Tabacon Lodge. At night when the lava flows is tight!

Manual Antonio Beach for a bit of easy surfing, hike the Park *Take a camera here*, get some sun, then come back at night, usually there is some party at the Bar on the beach

Puerto Viejo for some Ja Rastafari vibes. Great parties. Rent a bike and some snorkel gear and head further south on the trail from Puerto Viejo for a great time. There is a remote villa down the way as well..sometimes there open

etc etc..