We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cruise excursion

Which Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Massachusetts
reviews: 6
cruise excursion

My husband and I will be on a cruise, stopping in Puntarenas on February 28 for 10 hours. Last time we were in Costa Rica the weather was horrible. We stayed in Monteverde for several days, but the torrential rains and wind made it impossible to see the Cloud Forest. There is a Monteverde Cloud Forest Train Ride listed as a side trip. We want to do at least part of a walk in the hope of seeing the birds, etc. Does anybody know if we have the time to do this and/or have recommendations of a tour guide?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
1. Re: cruise excursion

It is 100% doable...go for it is a nice tour!

roadadvisor

Massachusetts
2. Re: cruise excursion

how long will it take us to get there? I see a train through the reserve as an organized ship tour. I don't fancy the idea of being limited by the train and I fear a crowded bus trip. What do you think?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
3. Re: cruise excursion

Thank you for asking,,,the ride from Puntarenas to Monteverde is about 1.5 hours to 2 hours the most,,,I´m not to crazy about the train ride...very Disney kind of ride...but of course you will have time for about 2.5 hours hike into the private reserve...depending on time leaving Puntarenas and time you HAVE to be back at the boat!

With a samll van you can move a lot faster ...you do not have to spend half of your tour waiting for others to go In and Out of the bus...that is and will be time consuming!

roadadivsor

Massachusetts
4. Re: cruise excursion

Do you have any recommendations for a driver. Any idea of the cost? We were in Monteverdi about 3 yrs ago during February. The weather was so horrendous thatt we didn't get to see much. The rain and wind were so bad, the hotel kept losing power. A Disney type experience surely is NOT what we want.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
5. Re: cruise excursion

Roadadvisor has given you some good advice and he is a private driver you can contact directly at http://tucanlimoservices.com/

You can also do a search on this forum for other recommended drivers.

Massachusetts
6. Re: cruise excursion

Ty for letting me know.

7. Re: cruise excursion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, December 17, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Monteverde Cloud...