We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary - One night in Monteverde

Which Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York, NY
Itinerary - One night in Monteverde

Wondering if it's possible to do Monteverde with a one night stay. We are arriving in San Jose the previous night and are renting a Mitsubishi Montero for our week-long trip leaving the Hotel at the Airport (Hampton Inn) around 8am. We were planning to drive up to Poas volcano, then check out La Paz Waterfall gardens, then drive up to Monteverde. We were thinking of doing a night walk and then some nature trails and possibly some horseback riding the next day (we are experienced riders) before heading to the ferry at Puntaneras for our week surfing in Mal Pais. Does this sound doable?

Thanks!

Dale

Atlanta, GA
reviews: 1
1. Re: Itinerary - One night in Monteverde

La Paz and Poas are a good hour, hour and a half from the airport in the opposite direction from Monteverde. Its doable, but a lot of driving and you'd need to leave La Paz around 1 or 2 to make sure you get up the mountain before dark (you do not want to do that drive the in dark). The night hikes usually leave around 5-5:30 or so. Doing horseback riding and maybe a short hike through one of the reserves the next morning is reasonable, but honestly you may be trying to fit too much in in two days...There are several nice lodges in the Central Valley, maybe look at staying over night at Villa Blanca where they have trails and night hikes through the Los Angeles Cloud forest, plus horseback riding, and its an easier drive than going all the way up to Monteverde.

Do try check the ferry schedule from Puntarenas to make sure you allow enough time to get over to the Nicoya plus another 60km or so to Mal Pais. There can be serious lines on the weekends. This is the only site I've ever found with the ferry schedule on it, but they change it seasonally without notice.

www.nicoyapeninsula.com/general/boat.php

San Jose, Costa Rica
2. Re: Itinerary - One night in Monteverde

Agreed that you're trying to pack a lot into a short time period, and the driving from airport to La Paz and then to Monteverde is a bit circuitous.

You can certainly wake up early and hike the trails at the Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve and then head to Puntareanas for your ferry.

Why not save the horseback riding for the Malpais area? You could even head over to Montezuma one day for a break from Malpais, or if there's no swell. FInca Los Caballos in Montezuma is an excellent horse operation.

Turrialba, Costa...
3. Re: Itinerary - One night in Monteverde

I think you should stay 2 nights in Monteverde, you can visit the Poas Volcano and la Paz Waterfall in your first day and drive to Monteverde.

You are going to arrive late and the second day enjoy the Park, maybe do a canopy tour and your night tour. I love night tours.

If you just do 1 night as you mentioned is going to be a lot of time on the road and not much time to enjoy the place

Pura Vida

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
4. Re: Itinerary - One night in Monteverde

The road section...around Peace Lodge to Sarapiqui ...which can be a way to get to Monteverde or Arenal is a very dangerous road...specially during rainy season..the road is not certified by our DOT...any car accident will not be cover by any local insurnace company...

You have a nice vehicle...the road up to Monteverde from Pan Am Hwy..is in great shape but teh last 12 kms...just dusty or muddy not a big deal...of course a lot better to drive up there during daylight!

I will drive to Arenal...then to Monteverde then to take the ferry in Puntarenas..I will try to visit Poas in another trip...

Just check ferry schedules...and find one that will fit your schedule...try to be at least 1.5 hours prior ddeparture...some times some big lines...better to be early!

roadadvisor

New York, NY
5. Re: Itinerary - One night in Monteverde

Thanks for all the great feedback. I think we're going to save Monteverde and Arenal for another trip. We're going to go to Poas and the Waterfall gardens then take gringagirl's suggestion to spend the night at Villa Blanca in the Los Angeles Cloud Forest before taking the ferry from Puntaneras the next day for our week in Mal Pais.

RoadAdvisor - I gather we shouldn't have too much trouble fording rivers in Mal Pais with the Montero? I've been reading in Moon that the roads in the southern Nicoya will require that, especially in the green season, though I imagine mid-November shouldn't be too wet?

Thanks,

Dale

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
reviews: 10
6. Re: Itinerary - One night in Monteverde

Great final decision! You will be fine with the Montero. There are no rivers to ford in the Mal Pais area unless you find yourself somewhere you really should not be! Stick to the main routes and you will find bridges over the rivers. The Montero has enough clearance that you will be fine getting through potholes. We have had a bit of rain, but no torrential downpours for over a week. This green season has been not so typical...not as much rain and the dust is already flying!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
7. Re: Itinerary - One night in Monteverde

Agree with Wefish...no probelm at all with a nice high clearence Mitsubishi Montero...just in case remember...if the upholstery or the engine gets wet...the rent a car can and would take it as TOTAL loss...and insurance in those cases will not pay for...

roadadvisor

Atlanta, GA
8. Re: Itinerary - One night in Monteverde

Thats the wonderful thing about Costa Rica....there's always a reason to go back! Have an amazing trip!

9. Re: Itinerary - One night in Monteverde

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, November 10, 2013