We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Elena / Monte Verde / ??? - best place to stay

Which Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 68
St Elena / Monte Verde / ??? - best place to stay

I am planning to stay in Monte Verde for 2 nights and would like to do some hiking (self-guided and guided) and a zipline tour while I am there. What is the best location to stay - St Elena, Monte Verde, or somewhere else (in the forest?) ? I would like to be able to go hiking or join tours directly from the hotel, rather than having to catch a bus or taxi to the starting point.

San Jose, Costa Rica
reviews: 6
1. Re: St Elena / Monte Verde / ??? - best place to stay

Hi Catherine, by what I can read in your question, the best place to stay is La Casona, this is the lodge right at the Monteverde Cloud Forest Biological Reserve, is the only lodge inside a private reserve. The place is great, very clean, you have the option to choose from , completely private rooms with bathroom, shared rooms with private bathroom or shared rooms with shared bathrooms, the rates are excellent, and they inlcude the entrance to the Reserve, breakfast , lunch and dinner. Dinnner is at an Italian restaurante with great pizza close to Santa Elena town, transportation is provided. You will have the reserve right at your window.

Hikes inside the reserve are the best ! you can join a guided tour or a night tour right there. Also the reserve can arrange other tours like the ones you want to do, canopy, hanging bridges, etc, this is a great option for you.

San Jose, Costa Rica
2. Re: St Elena / Monte Verde / ??? - best place to stay

Another choice...check Fonda Vella hotel close to the Reserve main entrance...

roadadvisor

Costa Rica
3. Re: St Elena / Monte Verde / ??? - best place to stay

Try hotel poco a poco, http://www.hotelpocoapoco.com/ very nice great decor, close to Santa Elena 3 min. walking distance all the tour companies will pick you up there....

San Jose, Costa Rica
4. Re: St Elena / Monte Verde / ??? - best place to stay

Also check El Establo...great nice hotel...Belmar...another good choice...

roadadvisor

San Jose, Costa Rica
5. Re: St Elena / Monte Verde / ??? - best place to stay

Lots of choices. If you want to walk out yr door and hike the reserve, La Casona is it.

However, you might have to get over the issue of taking taxis/vans/shuttles. If you stay at the reserve entrance, you're gonna need transport to any of the better restaurants, and all of the other attractions around the area.

If you stay near Sta Elena, you can walk to a range of restaurants and cafes, as well as many attractions (Orchid Garden, Serpentarium, World of Insects, etc)

Either way, it's gonna be a ride to other places (Selvatura or Original Canopy Tour, Trapiche Tour, the coffee tours, Bat Jungle, Butterfly Garden, etc)

Some of my favorite hotels are Poco a Poco and Arco Iris, and on the high end Hidden Canopy, Monteverde Lodge and Fonda Vela

6. Re: St Elena / Monte Verde / ??? - best place to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, December 14, 2013