We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gluten Free

Which Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Gluten Free

My son is Celiac and follows gluten free diet. We are staying in Costa Rica at several locations: Monteverde, La Fortuna and Quepos. Does anyone know if I can get gluten-free pasta, cereal in any of the grocery stores? Thanks

Grecia, Costa Rica
reviews: 15
1. Re: Gluten Free

You will find rice pasta at many of the Mercados, as to gluten free, in th center of Monteverde is a large grocery (mercado) store that does have a gluten free section, not large, but there, as well as many BioLand products that have a gluten free selection. Can't comment on La Fortuna, but perhaps you should bring some of what he can tolerate with you until settled. Have a great holiday.

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
reviews: 13
2. Re: Gluten Free

Gluten free in Costa Rica is pretty easy because most of the food products are made from rice or corn. Corn pasta is available in most stores but gluten free bread is difficult to find. Tortillas are plentiful for wraps. BioLand carries many products that are considered Gluten free, but you have to read the labels to be sure you have something without wheat products, some of their rice cakes have wheat products listed as ingredients. I am not sure if the BioLand manufacturer actually makes their Gluten free food in a Gluten free environment because they make non-gluten free organic foods as well.

If your son likes some particular food you should bring it with you, because you may not find it here.

Being gluten free, I have seriously studied labels. Although I am not Celiac, I am very careful about what I eat. If you start throwing sugar and palm oil into the mix, it really gets complicated!

San Jose, Costa Rica
3. Re: Gluten Free

Now days WallMart and Auto Mercado offer some great gluten free line of products!

roadadvisor

4. Re: Gluten Free

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, July 28, 2013