We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need 4x4 to drive to Monteverde?

Which Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
chicago
Need 4x4 to drive to Monteverde?

I was told by a rental car company that I needed to get a 4x4 to drive from Liberia to Monteverde. Is this true?

Colorado Springs, CO
reviews: 10
11. Re: Need 4x4 to drive to Monteverde?

A second vote for Mapache - they were half the cost of the other guys. Had a Grand Vitara for 10 days for about 650 US, by far the best price I found. They picked us up at the airport and dropped us off after, no fuss no muss. I got the 4x4 because we were headed to Monteverde and I'm glad I did. Even it the dry season it was a bit of a bumpy ride, and some of those roads were about as steep as I've ever seen.

California
reviews: 9
12. Re: Need 4x4 to drive to Monteverde?

I want to 2nd the comment of "take lots of pictures" when you pick up the car. We have made multiple trips to Costa Rica and had multiple issues with various rental car companies. Once we started taking pictures, we were able to have all issues resolved without having to pay. (imagine that!)

Tel Aviv, Israel
reviews: 7
13. Re: Need 4x4 to drive to Monteverde?

Jeremis,

did u nook directly from thier websites ?

or and mid agent ?

thanks.

San Jose, Costa Rica
14. Re: Need 4x4 to drive to Monteverde?

You might do ok with a sedan but the roads in Monteverde are in bad shape. You would be better off with a 4x4.

15. Re: Need 4x4 to drive to Monteverde?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:38 pm, April 24, 2012
Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
16. Re: Need 4x4 to drive to Monteverde?

we're using 4x4 as a generic term for a car that is 4 wheel drive capable and has higher ground clearance like a jimny or terios/bego. besides i haven't seen a car rental service in cr that offers a car with awd.

17. Re: Need 4x4 to drive to Monteverde?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:38 pm, April 24, 2012
Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
18. Re: Need 4x4 to drive to Monteverde?

yawn

19. Re: Need 4x4 to drive to Monteverde?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 5:17 am, April 13, 2013