We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monteverde Cloud Reserve from Arenal

Which Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Old Tappan, New...
Monteverde Cloud Reserve from Arenal

My family and I argon going to the Arenal region around 8/20 for about four days. Anyone know the travel time from Arenal to the Monteverde Cloud reserve? I'm assuming it would be an all day excursion.

Any thoughts would help!

San Jose, Costa Rica
1. Re: Monteverde Cloud Reserve from Arenal

Hola Wind dancer...nice nick name!

Some options to get to Monteverde from Arenal...

One of the most popular ones...Jeep-Boat--Jeep about $ 29.00 per person and around 2 hours and 30 minutes...is a door to door service.

You can drive around the arenal lake...about 2 hours and minutes...some slow driving from Tilaran to Santa Elena...the road is hard and no way you can drive fast...

You can do it...by horse all the way...about 4 and half hours...of course depending on weather and horse!

roadadvisor

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 102
2. Re: Monteverde Cloud Reserve from Arenal

We used the Taxi-Boat-Taxi offered by Desafio, and it took us about three hours to go from the Arenal area to Monteverde. They offered both an early morning and an afternoon departure. Very pretty views from the lake.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
reviews: 75
3. Re: Monteverde Cloud Reserve from Arenal

Not a day trip option from Arenal. You need to stay overnight in Monteverde to see it. 3-4 hour trip each way, and by the time you'd get there, there would be a line ahead of you to get in (only about 100 people in the reserve at any given time.

If you can't stay overnight in Monteverde, don't waste your time.

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
4. Re: Monteverde Cloud Reserve from Arenal

So right, Racandee! As usual.....

San Jose, Costa Rica
reviews: 6
5. Re: Monteverde Cloud Reserve from Arenal

Good advise, you need to stay at least one night to truly enjoy one the most beautiful places in Costa Rica, the Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve.

6. Re: Monteverde Cloud Reserve from Arenal

We are planing this same trip but in Feb. I do not think we will rent a car but would like to travel from place to place and see the country side.

Jeep or Taxi then Boat then Jeep or Taxi seems like a great way to go.

Do we need to make any reservations in advance?

I think we are staying in Los Lagos.

Love this forum.

Monteverde Costa...
reviews: 13
7. Re: Monteverde Cloud Reserve from Arenal

I agree with racandee 100%. I would not advise anyone to try to come to Monteverde as a day trip. Especially not on jeep boat jeep as you arrive at noon and have to leave at 2:30 if the same day.

Two nights here is best as the first day you would not arrive until noon at the earliest. The reserves are best to visit for a half day starting early.

So you could push it with one night here but not advisable.

Just as a reminder as racandee pointed out there is a limit of people at the Monteverde Reserve at any time. 200 is the limit. But if you go with a guided tour you dont have to worry about that as you are assured of getting in with the guide. And they have only enforced this limit four times in the last year. Xmas week may be a problem without a guide. Santa Elena reserve you will never have to worry about getting in.

And with a guide is the best money you can spend here in Monteverde IMHO. $17.00 each plus the entrance fee. That is for a tour of up to 10 people. But you will learn a lot about the special forest here which is the Cloud Forest and have a better chance to see birds and animals. Maybe a Quetzal in season.

Monteverde has many other things to do and many great places to eat.

Hope you can make it up here.

san pedro
reviews: 31
8. Re: Monteverde Cloud Reserve from Arenal

Could I please have the information for the jeep tour?

Thank you,

Denise

Grecia, Costa Rica
reviews: 15
9. Re: Monteverde Cloud Reserve from Arenal

Here you go, great way to shave time off the trip and get a great lake tour http://www.arenal.net/tour/monteverde.htm

San Jose, Costa Rica
10. Re: Monteverde Cloud Reserve from Arenal

It is $ 29.00 per person...door to door service...not very good vehicles...but they will get you there!

roadadvisor