We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Fonda Vela vs. Trapp Family Lodge

Which Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco, CA
reviews: 10
Hotel Fonda Vela vs. Trapp Family Lodge

Hi

Hoping someone can help with input and ideas on comparing Fonda Vela and Trapp Family Lodge. I'm going with my girlfriend in late January and we're definitely planning on lots of outdoor activities etc, but would like a nice place to rest and refresh at night..

- How close are these 2 hotels to town? I guess, is it even worth trying to get into town? I'm always up for a drink!

- How are the rooms, grounds , etc

Thanks!

Ara

Fort Lauderdale...
reviews: 28
1. Re: Hotel Fonda Vela vs. Trapp Family Lodge

We stayed a Fonda Vela two years ago and it was fine. Just don't eat the fetticine alfredo..it made me extremely ill for about 12 hours. Everything else on the menu was fine. I recommend going to the bakery down the road for breakfast. We also lost power for a few hours so be sure to pack flashlights because it's very dark at night and it's hard getting to your building and rooms without any type of light. They provided us candles to use, which was fine once we found where we needed to be. The town is not that big and I would assume that the other hotel would be relatively close by. I just remember going through the "downtown" area and up a steep hill and around to get to Fonda Vela. It could use some updating in the bathrooms, but the actual room is huge with big beds and it certainly got very cold at night. Have a great trip and good luck planning it.

NYC
reviews: 5
2. Re: Hotel Fonda Vela vs. Trapp Family Lodge

I stayed at the Fonda Vela about a month ago. It's about a 5 to 10 minute "cab" ride (actually, all the cabs are vans) into the town of Santa Elena. The cost for a cab ride is $5 American each way. However, since most adventure tours usually include transportation to and from your hotel, if you request it they can drop you off in town after your day's activities and you can spend your evening in town. You can then call a cab (or ask the restaurant to call you a cab, which they will kindly do) to return to the hotel at night.

The grounds of the hotel are lovely and expansive. There are quiet scenic trails around the property that you can walk at your leisure. The hotel is very close to the Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve so there is a lot of wildlife to be observed on the grounds - a lot of interesting birds and insects. Each room is a nice-sized cabin. The beds were large and comfortable with clean soft linens. Bathroom was a tad small, but was very clean. It also had a large tub and really crappy showerhead. That's my only quibble about the room - the showerhead - only because I don't like taking baths. The front desk folks were very friendly and helped us arrange all our activities (without charging a commission, which we appreciated). However, I don't recommend the onsite restaurant if you can avoid it. The service is good and the setting has a very classy feel to it, but the food didn't impress and was overpriced for what it was, in my opinion. I would recommend Sophia's in town if you're looking for a good meal.

Overall, I would highly suggest staying at the Fonda Vela. It's a little bit farther from town than other hotels, but you get beautiful surroundings, a large comfortable cabin and friendly staff.

Also, if I recall correctly, we passed by the Trapp Family Lodge on the way to the Fonda Vela and they are maybe 1 or 2 minutes apart by car.

florida
reviews: 9
3. Re: Hotel Fonda Vela vs. Trapp Family Lodge

Trapp Family was recommended to me by a local travel agent and I am also trying to decide were to stay when I go in May. I was told it was very conveniently located to the cloud forest. Looking for someone who has stayed there---

West of Boston
reviews: 42
4. Re: Hotel Fonda Vela vs. Trapp Family Lodge

We are visiting CR in Dec. but a friend of mine stayed at Trapp three years ago for a night and she told me it was fine. She travels a lot and she is fairly critical so I am looking into it as well. Fonda Vela does not have a room for us when we are visiting...

5. Re: Hotel Fonda Vela vs. Trapp Family Lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, September 21, 2009