We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Theft?

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
usa
reviews: 8
Theft?

As per Lonely Planet, MA is gaining notoriety for theft; how serious of a problem is this really?? Do I have to be scared walking around the beaches in the park?

Also read that some beaches inside the park are gay/nude friendly; wanted to avoid them if possible. Anyone knows which areas these are?

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 2
1. Re: Theft?

walking around, you'll be fine. When normally intelligent people do unintelligent things, is when you have theft problems. Don't leave things unattended, don't leave anything valuable in your rental car. Don't be scared about walking around in the park.

There is a gay/nude friendly beach, but it's not in the park, it's at the north end of the public beach.

San Francisco...
reviews: 104
2. Re: Theft?

On the beaches inside the park theft is a real problem. If you leave your stuff unattended the monkeys might run off with your bag(especially if you have some cookies).

I think you need to read your Lonely Planet book again as the only mention of "crime" is this:

"The town is generally safe, but don't leave your belongings unattended on the beach."

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 16
3. Re: Theft?

Something you might want to be aware of i the park is "theft" by the monkeys. I am not joking!! Yes, they are adorable and put on a great show. But they have become bold and rather aggressive and are very nimble. I have personally seem the capuchin monkeys grab bags and try to run off with them or open the zippers of backpacks and toss things out or rummage through the contents, looking for food . It may be cute at first - but it actually can get annoying.

raquel

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 16
4. Re: Theft?

Sean, You got yours in just as I was writing mine!! It is a real issue.

Remember - DO NOT feed the monkeys. It is illegal and furthermore it causes them harm in the long run.

raquel

5. Re: Theft?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, August 20, 2009