We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in MA with an 8yo and 2yo. Budget friendly ideas?

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
reviews: 9
Staying in MA with an 8yo and 2yo. Budget friendly ideas?

This will be our first time visiting Costa Rica. We are traveling with two small children ages 8 and 2 and we will be staying at a friends villa in MA. Our trip is from Nov. 5-13. We plan on renting a car in SJO and driving to MA. We would also like to take a day or two and drive to Arenal.

We are trying to keep the trip somewhat budget friendly. We really planned this all on a whim. :-/

Any tips and advice? What do you recommend for children in that age group? Tours or activities that we absolutely shouldn't miss? Tips for ways to enjoy it all without going COMPLETELY broke?

How much do you think a family of four should expect to spend? Right now it looks like we will have about $2500- $3000 to take with us (the car rental will be taken care of separately on a credit card). I'd like to keep it under that amount if possible.

I'm suddenly VERY overwhelmed. HELP.

7 replies to this topic
San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
1. Re: Staying in MA with an 8yo and 2yo. Budget friendly ideas?

Great oiidea about renting the car...the bigger expense will be the trip to Arenal...gasoline...hotel...food...maybe next time...of course IF you are looking to save money....nice OF COURSE!

roadadv isor

Puerto Viejo de...
reviews: 9
2. Re: Staying in MA with an 8yo and 2yo. Budget friendly ideas?

I think that amount soinds very reasonable for an 8 day holiday. Since car rental and lodging will be mostly taken care of, you should be fine. I think you can even include two nights Arenal without going over the budget. Eat a couple of times at home and you will save quite a bit.

Quebec City, Canada
reviews: 16
3. Re: Staying in MA with an 8yo and 2yo. Budget friendly ideas?

My best tip to save on hotels in Manuel Antonio: southerncostarica.biz/Manuel-Antonio/…

Compare price with this local hotels directory.

Manuel Antonio is a great choice.

If you choose to stay in Manuel Antonio and around, you really don't need to rent a car. Because yes, it IS the most expensive thing in a tourist budget.

Buses and taxis are cheap. From airport to Manuel Antonio, you can have a shuttle too.

It is up to you!

:)

Manuel Antonio
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
4. Re: Staying in MA with an 8yo and 2yo. Budget friendly ideas?

Since 2 yrs old is a bit young to thoroughly enjoy most of the tours and since you are on a budget, just take advantage of the beautiful free public beach outside of the park. You can also explore inside the park (the kids will be free), though be sure to take food/water in with you, as they sell nothing in there and its a bit of a distance to hike back out for food and refreshments. You can also do a nature tour at the reserve across from Hotel Si Como No if your kids are really into the animals which it not too expensive or long for young kids. Enjoy!

United States
reviews: 4
5. Re: Staying in MA with an 8yo and 2yo. Budget friendly ideas?

You will have no problem with that budget, have a blast! One thing to do on the beach which is not too expensive if to rent a couple beach loungers and umbrella from Mary on the main beach. They will watch your things when you swim and even bring cold drinks.

Edited: 8:53 am, October 04, 2013
~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
reviews: 136
6. Re: Staying in MA with an 8yo and 2yo. Budget friendly ideas?

Chris L... I don't think you read her post clearly. She IS staying in MA and already has a place to stay (friend's villa).

Personally, I think your budget is solid for 8 days. The biggest expense you will have is the trip to Arenal, but I still think you can easily fit that in your budget. Eating out in MA can also add up, so consider fixing meals at the house to save some money. Either way, I think you will be fine!

Quebec City, Canada
reviews: 16
7. Re: Staying in MA with an 8yo and 2yo. Budget friendly ideas?

You're right ThePuraVida!

Sorry about that!

I didn't notice.

:) Have a great day!

Reply to: Staying in MA with an 8yo and 2yo. Budget friendly ideas?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted