We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Health alert dengue fever and travel

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
southern US
reviews: 9
Health alert dengue fever and travel

We are set to travel to Manuel Antonio in a couple weeks. We have been reading about "health alerts", "worst outbreaks in pacific region", and headlines such as "Dengue out of control" and in the worst areas 100 cases/week. We are traveling with a 7 year old and I'm now concerned I will be so worried about mosquito protection and covering up that it may be hard to enjoy vacation. Those of you there or there recently what is it like? Real cause for concern or are these alarmist headlines? Thank you for info.

southern US
11. Re: Health alert dengue fever and travel

Thank you Xelas. I also hope that the rising cases of dengue fever is not a permanent situation. I think a firm plan for eradication will definitely decrease the problem (and I hope they are working on that now) but alas it is still a natural area and jungle pools will exist so I doubt it will entirely go away. Again, acceptable levels vs. high risk.

By the way, as far as my "duality" when I first made the post I was gathering information, reading news, askind advice, etc. in order to make my decision. The advice on TA was part of it. It was not an easy or clear cut decision to make but once I made it I feel strongly it was the right one for us. On another note...I have never been to Hawaii and hope to go. May you enjoy your future travels!

Costa Rica
reviews: 24
12. Re: Health alert dengue fever and travel

They are definitely fighting hard! I was reading in the news this morning about some out of work fishermen (the Gulf of Nicoya is closed to commercial fishing temporarily) being hired to help with spraying efforts and also the work to make sure there is no standing water for the mosquitoes to use. This is just one of the efforts being made by the government -- they are not ignoring the whole thing, that's for sure.

southern US
13. Re: Health alert dengue fever and travel

and perhaps I shouldn't say "high risk" for it is not a high risk of infection just beyond my comfort level

Edited: 6:27 pm, July 08, 2013
Costa Rica
reviews: 24
14. Re: Health alert dengue fever and travel

busyUSmom -- I, too, think you have made a wise decision. If your worry about dengue will impede your enjoying your vacation -- not worth it. See you later.....!

Manuel Antonio
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
15. Re: Health alert dengue fever and travel

Paritta and Limon are some of the hardest hit areas, but I have lived here for decades and never had a problem. If you don't want to play it safe and use repellent, then where full coverage light weight jungle clothes and you will be protected. Most people do not even have to use repellent in the MA area, but if you are the unfortunate person that attracts the mosquitos (there is always someone they love), then by all means buck up and use whatever repellent you need and carry on with enjoying your vacation! Enjoy!

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 8
16. Re: Health alert dengue fever and travel

Where did the news come from that Parita and Limon are hardest hit? I thought that especially this year the "risk" was greater at the Pacific side.

Puerto Viejo de...
reviews: 11
17. Re: Health alert dengue fever and travel

I just got over a Dengue and I spent two nights at the hospital for control. I spoke to the doctor there and he explained to me that this year the Pacific got hit harder by the breakout of the recent Dengue. According to him the most cases are showing up in Guanacaste. I don't wish anyone to expirence the Dengue and I don't want any of the regions to suffer with an epedemic breakout. However, I am sick of reading all over that in the province Limon it is worse than anywhere else. This is just not true.

At the end it is best to prevent by using repellent and long clothes. However, there is no 100% guranatee that you are not the unlucky one getting a bit from a Dengue mosquito. If you do so, go to a doctor/clinic and rest. There is not much you can do than rest and take some pills to get your fever down. Looking back it was a bad experience but I honestly expected it worse.

Bx
reviews: 18
18. Re: Health alert dengue fever and travel

"Where did the news come from that Parita and Limon are hardest hit? I thought that especially this year the "risk" was greater at the Pacific side."

It seems to only come from someone shilling Manual Antonio. This is just down the road from Parrita which is the epicenter of the 14,000+ confirmed cases according to the Health Ministry. I have not read anywhere that Limon had the most cases. It seems to run from Guanecaste to the Osa and Coto Brus. I would expect it to get worse before it gets better, as it has been dry this rainy season but looks like it is about to get wet again.

medicalxpress.com/news/2013-07-costa-rica-is…

High fever and at least two of the following:

Severe headache

Severe eye pain (behind eyes)

Joint pain

Muscle and/or bone pain

Rash

Mild bleeding manifestation (e.g., nose or gum bleed, petechiae, or easy bruising)

Low white cell count

I spent 6 days in misery before I felt good enough to walk around again about three years ago. If it gets worse than the above symptoms, go the hospital.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 54
19. Re: Health alert dengue fever and travel

I have recently returned from Costa Rica, and have heard from locals that the Pacific side, south of Jaco, has the highest number of reported infections. And I am glad that on this occasion, everybody gives useful and "on the case" advices.

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 8
20. Re: Health alert dengue fever and travel

teletica is not my favourite but apparently they got this through the official channels: translate.google.com/translate…