We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quepo Canyoning or ADR Adventure Park in Manuel Antonio?

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
Quepo Canyoning or ADR Adventure Park in Manuel Antonio?

Anyone been to both and can tell me the difference?

Thank you.

Olympia, Washington
reviews: 63
1. Re: Quepo Canyoning or ADR Adventure Park in Manuel Antonio?

Yes we were at both last week.

Go with Canyoning Safari (not Quepos Canyoning - there is a difference).

I would recommend Canyoning Safari for the following reasons. I can say this with confidence because we did both of these and white water rafting. According to my teenagers and my husband, Canyoning came first, white water rafting was a very close second and ADR was a distant third. I personally think it was because of our guides. We had such an amazing experience with the first two events that I think our expectations for ADR where very high. It was our last day, we had some great adventures, we were actually very excited about ADR after reading everything on Trip Advisor. I mean no-one said a bad thing about ADR. Perhaps it's because we only had 8 in our group. The four of us and two other couples - who were very fun and very talkative.

Reasons:

1. Price: Canyoning Safari is $75 per person, ADR is $130 per person

2. Attitude: The guides at Canyoning Safari are FAR superior to ADR. They guys made the trip amazing. Our guides at ADR couldn't care less if we were there or not. They did care about the tip during lunch - didn't even wait until the end of the trip.

3. Adventure: Canyoning Safari starts off with a very nice breakfast at a quaint little building where the adventure begins. Eggs, Toast, fresh fruit, coffee, fruit juice - all made right there as you are arriving - buffet style so you eat as little or as much as you want - the fruit is so good! The guides go through the safety instructions and then you are off. There is a little bit of walking but not much, great scenery and you are way, way up in the trees! The guides are talking and laughing the whole time. We were picked up at 6:45 am and were back at our hotel at 11am and we were thoroughly exhausted and excited.

After the canyoning (zipping around the trees) and a wonderful Tarzan swing (terrifying but so much fun!) you are able to go into a beautiful place with butterfly's and snakes.

ADR - you are picked up at 6:45 am and back to your hotel at 2 pm. You are taken to their office in Manuel Antonio where you eat breakfast of eggs, rice and beans, two pieces of fruit, coffee and juice. You leave for the adventure at about 7:30, drive about 40 minutes through the palm groves to arrive at your first adventure a all-terrain industrial truck to get you up the mountain. It's another 35 minutes in this truck. This is not for the faint of heart. It had just rained and it was slippery and scary as we moved up to 1500ft. above sea level. The views were great but the ride was extremely steep and dangerous. My family loved it.

Upon arrival you'll walk about 20 minutes up mountain, down mountain and up mountain again to the landing/staging area. This is not a stroll. It's a bit tiring and our teenagers found the trip a bit long for their liking and wanted to "get going".

The shack is where you'll get geared up, have your safety talk and eat lunch. Lunch is beans, cold chicken rice (mostly rice and onions) salad, salsa and ice tea.

There is quite a bit more walking to the first tarzan swing, repel - then zip, then drop into water, repel, zip, etc. This is NOT fun if you don't like to hike uphill. You must have really, really good shoes. Either Ahnu's, Keens or athletic shoes. Don't wear water shoes. You are in water however the hiking and walking requires a more rugged shoe.

It's about 1 hour back to hotel (ours was in Quepos so we were the first dropped off).

So it came down to our personal experience. We loved canyoning, the ADR had zipping and beautiful scenery and definitely different so you can do both like we did. It's just that if you look at $130 vs. $75 - both experiences were amazing. If money is no object - I would still choose Canyoning and Whitewater over ADR. The big difference was the all terrain vehicle going up that crazy road up the mountain. (they don't use horses to go up anymore after complaints). If that's what you want then go for it. For actual activity time it's really the same - the ADR adventure is farther away so I feel that you pay more for the ride up and back.

I tried to be as honest as I could - I hope this helps you. You will really have fun no matter what you choose. The people there are so nice and very helpful. We loved Costa Rica.

Baltimore, Maryland
2. Re: Quepo Canyoning or ADR Adventure Park in Manuel Antonio?

Thank you sooo much for your detailed descriptions! It was VERY helpful. The only thing is, I think you meant "Canopy" Safari-Not "Canyoning" Safari. We were actually thinking of doing Canopy Safari if we wanted to do ziplining in that area, but I was leaning toward the zip lining in Arenal or more probably Monteverde. (Did you do any of those?)

As far as Manuel Antonio area, I wanted to do Canyoning (rapelling), and knew of the two companies: Quepo Canyoning and ADR. Both are not complete canyoning-it seems they each have one or two rappells and then other fun stuff. So, I wanted to know which one. It was very helpful what you told me, because Quepo Canyoning is $85, so it seems it's not worth the extra $ for ADR. (There are good canyoning/rappel companies in Arenal, but we won't be there long enough.)

Thank you, and if you have anything to say about Monteverde, Arenal, or anything else, please let me know. Also, did you do any good hanging bridges, horse back ride, or have any guides you recommend for any park?

Thank you sooo much!!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 103
3. Re: Quepo Canyoning or ADR Adventure Park in Manuel Antonio?

Thanks from me too, Travelers; those are activities that interest me for future trips, and you gave great detailed descriptions.

1stTime, the Hanging Bridges in the Arenal area area really nice. Both Sunset Tours and Desafio can provide great guides. We've done it both with and without a guide and have seen a lot more wildlife with one. If you just want a pretty hike though, it's easy to go on your own. We really like Francisco with Desafio and Zander with Sunset Tours - both very smart, friendly, and great wildlife spotters.

Baltimore, Maryland
4. Re: Quepo Canyoning or ADR Adventure Park in Manuel Antonio?

Thank you, Volcano Girl! I will look into the hanging bridges at Arenal with a tour guide.

We would like to do one zipline canopy tour i costa rica, so i'm leaning toward Selvatura. What's your opinion? Also, do you know of a good guide for Manuel Antonio, or do we not need one there?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
5. Re: Quepo Canyoning or ADR Adventure Park in Manuel Antonio?

Yes, I know an excellent guide - Juan Brenes. He posts here as natureguide. If you look at the reviews for Manuel Antonio Expeditions, that's him. He's really smart, friendly, great at spotting wildlife. He does tours of the park and the Damas mangrove tour too. He spotted some cool things for us that we've never seen including a silky anteater and a yellow eyelash pit viper. Plus he's just a fun guy. We have not done Selvatura, but it seems to get great reviews. Our favorite is Sky Trek.

Baltimore, Maryland
6. Re: Quepo Canyoning or ADR Adventure Park in Manuel Antonio?

thanks!

I heard skytrek is more theme park and selvatura is more nature?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
7. Re: Quepo Canyoning or ADR Adventure Park in Manuel Antonio?

Maybe someone who has done Selvature can chime in for you. Sky Trek has some of the longest, highest lines in the country. We did it in the La Fortuna/Arenal area. It has a tram/gondola that takes you up so you don't have to hike up. Great views of the lake and volcano. Very friendly fun guides. Felt very safe. It also has a walk you can do, but we didn't do it. Maybe someone thought theme park because of the tram, but I didn't get that vibe when we did it. It's a really beautiful area with great views. We've also done the Original Canopy Tour in Monteverde and like it, but it wasn't as adventurous as Sky Trek.

New York City, New...
reviews: 8
8. Re: Quepo Canyoning or ADR Adventure Park in Manuel Antonio?

The Canopy Safari tour that was mentioned is fun for a zip line tour in the area.. it's a shorter trip, includes breakfast or lunch depending on what time of the day you go and it has zip lines, a tarzan swing, a butterfly garden and a serpentarium. You are going THROUGH the canopy, if you want to go more ABOVE the canopy then I would recommend Sky Trek which they have in both La Fortuna and Monteverde it's very very high but so beautiful, so if you aren't scared of heights go for it!

I've been on the ADR Adventure Park and like many other reviewers it was a highlight of my trip. It is a much longer tour and completely different than Canopy Safari so I don't think those two can be compared. We went in the hummer ride up the mountain and the scenery is truly breathtaking. For a full day trip from around 7 am to 2 pm, that includes breakfast, lunch, zip lines, waterfalls, and rappels I feel you definitely get your moneys worth. If you're on a budget then go with Quepo Canyoning, as it is cheaper at $85 per person, it's a shorter tour, has less activities, and I think it only includes one meal. We wanted to be up high in the mountains, see lots of waterfalls and do a mix of zip lines and rappels so ADR was perfect for what we wanted.

It depends what you're looking for, but if you want to spend a day in the jungle surrounded by waterfalls then I highly recommend ADR, worth every penny!

Manuel Antonio
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
9. Re: Quepo Canyoning or ADR Adventure Park in Manuel Antonio?

The long description at the top is for Canopy Safari Zipline, a fabulous tour. The adventure park is also a great tour, but very different. I have sent many people on this tour and they have 100% come back happy and all loved the guides, so I'm sorry if those folks did not enjoy it. I have done it myself and find it both beautiful and exhilerating. Quepo Canyoning is also a really fun tour, with great waterfalls. It is much shorter and easier then the Adventure Park, as it is closer to Quepos and is a much shorter circuit of a mix of ziplines, canyoning, monkey drops and other features. Any of those 3 tours I would highly recommend, it just really comes down to time restraints, budget and touring styles of each traveler as to what works best for them. Enjoy!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
10. Re: Quepo Canyoning or ADR Adventure Park in Manuel Antonio?

Thanks, Liv.

Get answers to your questions about Manuel Antonio...