We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whitewater rafting in May~

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond, Virginia
reviews: 3
Whitewater rafting in May~

Hi!

We will be in CR (2 adults and an 11 year old) from May 17-27, going to Arenal, Monteverde, and Manuel Antonio. We were thinking about doing a whitewater trip at some point.

1. Is it even worth going whitewater rafting in May since it is just at the beginning of the green season. Is there enough water?

2. Should we go to Sarapiqui or Savegre or Naranjo? Which is best for fun, wildlife and excitement, without being too overwhelming for an 11 year old beginner? I originally dismissed Naranjo as too intense, but maybe in May it isn't so bad?

Thank you so much-I don't know how anyone planned vacations before Trip Advisor!

3 replies to this topic
La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
1. Re: Whitewater rafting in May~

There should be plenty of water in the Savegre as it runs just about year round. It is also more age appropriate for your 11 year old as the Naranjo can be pretty intense when the water is high enough for rafting.

Manuel Antonio
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
2. Re: Whitewater rafting in May~

There will be plenty of water at that time (there already is!) as it rains more in the mountains, then right on the coastline, so I definitely recommend going. I agree that Savegre is the right river for families. Beautiful, and a good challenge for young and old without being too scarey. Enjoy!

New York City, New...
reviews: 9
3. Re: Whitewater rafting in May~

Savegre should have enough water at this time of year! It's a beautiful river, wildlife, scenery, and great for people of all ages. I went with Amigos Del Rio and loved every minute of it!

Reply to: Whitewater rafting in May~
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Manuel Antonio...