We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jose to Manuel Antonio, heard there was a new highway?

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
San Jose to Manuel Antonio, heard there was a new highway?

Hi,

I was all ready to book a trip to Manuel Antonio but then read varying reports on how far the drive from airport to Manuel Antonio is...my question is: Is there a new highway that takes about 1.5 hours to get to or should I plan on a 4 hour drive (if I end up booking)? I'm limited on vacation time so the 4 hour airport drive is a turn off. Thanks in advance!

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
reviews: 59
1. Re: San Jose to Manuel Antonio, heard there was a new highway?

From SJO to Manuel Antonio is 2 1/2 to 3 hrs drive via the new toll road Autopista del Sol. The road is good the entire way. Another option is to fly to Quepos via Sansa or Nature Air and this is an approx. 1/2 hour flight (baggage weight restrictions apply though) If you're not keen on driving, you can hire a private driver from SJO also and just sit back and enjoy the scenery. It is not advisable to drive at night/in the dark so your decision on all this might depend on your arrival at SJO. Hope it helps!

Mims, Florida
2. Re: San Jose to Manuel Antonio, heard there was a new highway?

How much are the toll fees?

Manuel Antonio...
reviews: 34
3. Re: San Jose to Manuel Antonio, heard there was a new highway?

The tolls are $1 or less per booth and there are 3-4 booths in each direction....

Tulemar Dave

Mims, Florida
4. Re: San Jose to Manuel Antonio, heard there was a new highway?

Thanks for the information.

Manuel Antonio
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
5. Re: San Jose to Manuel Antonio, heard there was a new highway?

Excellent highway making the drive an easy 2.5 hrs. A few of the tolls are just over a buck, but if you have dollar bills (and not colones), they accept those and even give you your change in colones. Just have small bills though. Enjoy!

reviews: 31
6. Re: San Jose to Manuel Antonio, heard there was a new highway?

We took the flight from SJ to MA on Sansa. It cost about $65 and Sansa is just around the corner/walk from SJ airport. Flight is gorgeous and about 35 minutes. Then take taxi to town where you can take a bus to MA. The reverse may cost more as the airport charged $5 per person when we were there. Public transportation is great!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
7. Re: San Jose to Manuel Antonio, heard there was a new highway?

The drive is between 2.5 to 3 hours...great road...is not a highway is a good road...all the way...road 27 and then 34...

roadadvisor

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 94
8. Re: San Jose to Manuel Antonio, heard there was a new highway?

We did it in about 2 hours and 45 minutes, and that included time to stop at the Rio Tarcoles bridge and see the big crocs down below. The road was in great shape, so much better than on our last trip to the area.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
9. Re: San Jose to Manuel Antonio, heard there was a new highway?

It is a great road we drive it almost aily...just keep good driving distance and observe your speed limits...if not sign around just keep 55 mph...at Tarcoles be sure that the Tourist police is around and ask them to keep a close look at your car and belongs...really nice young policemen ...

roadadvisor

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 94
10. Re: San Jose to Manuel Antonio, heard there was a new highway?

We got the GPS option, and it was really useful for us. It alerted us to all the speed changes, school zones, etc. I think we were the only ones going the speed limit though!

Get answers to your questions about Manuel Antonio...