We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus & Taxi

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Bus & Taxi

I have read that buses between Quepos and Manuel Antonio National Park run about every 30 minutes. Is this still the case in May (Green season)? How much is the cost? Do we have to have the exact change?

According to this map, cupotico.com/maps/… there are two bus tops in MA (37 & 54). Is this still correct?

When taking a taxi in MA area, should we ask the price before the ride? Is it true that it is not customary to tip taxi drivers?

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 16
1. Re: Bus & Taxi

Yes the buses run about every thirty minutes - even in the green season. be aware that they don't run after about 9.00 PM.

The bus fare is under 300 colones which is less than 60 cents (can't remember the exact amount as it rose slightly in December.) You do not need exact change - the drivers are used to giving you change. But I really wouldn't try to give them anything much bigger than a 2000 colones bill.

On the road between Quepos and MA, there are a lot more stops than those indicated on the Cupo Tico map. As a rule they are every several hundred metres. Much of the location depends on there being a safe area for the bus to pull over as the road is narrow and hilly and winding. Once you are there you will figure out where they are - some are easily recognizable, others not so. Ask someone where you are staying where the closest one is or if you go somewhere - the same and they will point you...

Re taxis, although there is supposed to be a law in CR that all cabs are supposed to use their metres (called la maria) - in MA most never do and get away with it. Therefore, yes, it is best to ask the price before you get in and have some sort of an idea what a fair price is to your destination. Most normal rides for places not far off the main road will be somewhere between 2000 and 4000 colones.

Stick to the official licenced red taxis - not the pirates.

If you are charged a flat rate - you really don't need to tip as basically they have already built it in - unless of course you think you want to give the driver a bit extra.

raquel

New York City, New...
2. Re: Bus & Taxi

Thank you for the very helpful information. I didn't know about the pirate taxis, so I googled about it. We will make sure to get official red taxis that have a yellow upside down diamond on the side!

Manuel Antonio
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
3. Re: Bus & Taxi

Ditto what Rachel said. The cost for the local bus at this minute is $280 and you do not have to have exact change. I have even used a dollar bill and gotten change in colones, but it is faster and easier if you have colones. Enjoy!

New York City, New...
4. Re: Bus & Taxi

I found that there was a bus that was running from Quepos to Biesans Beach back in late 2010. Is this discontinued?

We are staying at Makanda. Is it around $8 to go to either MA park or Quepos? How much would it be to just go to the main road, e.g. Barba Roja or Cafe Milagro, from Makanda?

Thanks!

San Jose, Costa Rica
5. Re: Bus & Taxi

It is so nice to read any answer about Manuel Antonio from Raquel or Liv and Large...they both are incredible...and they of course know the area...GRACIAS girls you are the best!

roadadvisor

Manuel Antonio
Destination Expert
6. Re: Bus & Taxi

Thanks Roadadvisor. To answer the last question......the Beisanz bus has been discontinued recently, though in CR these things can change at any time. Unfortunately, the cost for a taxi is going to be close to the same, even if you just go up the hill, as they come from and usually return to Quepos, so the cost is the same for them unless they get lucky and pick up an extra fare on the way back (which you would not know). If you are in good physical condition, the walk up the hill from Makanda is only about 10 minutes, but it is definitely UP hill, so you need to be in shape. Also, there are no sidewalks, so be careful. Enjoy, that is a beautiful hotel!

New York City, New...
7. Re: Bus & Taxi

Thank you, LivNLarge! It's good to know it's about 10 minute walk to the mail road. We are in pretty good shape and don't mind walking, so we will probably walk when we have energy and it's not too hot.

Cincinnati, Ohio
reviews: 1
8. Re: Bus & Taxi

I just arrived yesterday in San Jose and am headed to Manuel Antonio in just a couple of days. I'm staying in Manuel Antonio for the better part of two months and will be studying at a Spanish language school for most of that time. I know that the house I am renting is near the bus line, but I am having trouble locating information about travelling locally by bus. I am mostly interested in basic bus information to get back and forth to school everyday for my classes. Can you offer any information about travelling locally by bus since you have been there. Most of what I am able to find has been about getting to and from Manuel Antonio, and not so much about travelling within the local area there. Any advice you have is appreciated. Thanks.

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
reviews: 61
9. Re: Bus & Taxi

Erin: The buses run between Quepos and Manuel Antonio (beach/park) every 30 minutes on the hour and 1/2 hour from 7 am to 7 pm. You do not have to purchase a ticket for this service, just pay when you get on the bus. If your rental house and school is on this line, it's quite simple. However, there are other buses that run out to Naranjito, the hospital, Immaculate among other things. So knowing where your rental and school is located would better allow us to help you. Lisa

10. Re: Bus & Taxi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 02, 2014