We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prices

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mississauga, Canada
reviews: 2
Prices

I'm surprised that no one really mentions prices on TA.

If I could get a few that would be great, so I know what to expect.

1 ltr gas

6 pack of beer @ store

1 beer @ bar

average meal for 2 people

1 liter bottle water @ store

Which things are very expensive to buy ( something that I could take with me & not need to buy while I'm there)

and vice versa.

Thank you

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 7
1. Re: Prices

To check store prices, you can use this online shopping page. recope.go.cr/info_clientes/precios_productos/ Automercardo is an expensive supermarket so you can expect to pay a little less in cheaper stores. A meal for 2 can cost as little as $10 if you eat local food with a fresh fruit drink in a local small "soda" or as much as a meal might in the US if you choose a fancy place and have it with wine.

recope.go.cr/info_clientes/precios_productos/ lists gas prices. A beer is around $2 a bottle in a bar.

I find suntan lotion or block is fairly pricey.

Barrie, Canada
reviews: 33
2. Re: Prices

Great answer by Sara! In short... Everything including gas about the same or less than Ontario. Especially beer and liquor which is much more affordable except maybe in the most touristic places.

Edited: 9:50 pm, March 14, 2013
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Washington
3. Re: Prices

Some things are just more expensive at the beach than in the central valley. For example I would expect to pay close to 5000 ($10 US) colones for an 8 oz bottle of sunblock at the pharmacy in San Jose & close to double at the beach. Imported items are probably more expensive than you would pay at home. Look for generic equivalents or bring small containers of your favorites from home.

Soft drinks are about the same price as a beer or mixed drinks in bars & restaurants.

Manuel Antonio
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
4. Re: Prices

Exc posts above, as much depends in what part of the country and what type of store you shop in. Beach and tourist areas are always going to be more expensive. Same goes for most imported products as opposed to National products. Think in the area of $1.50 a litre for gas. Around $7-10 for a 6 pack of beer. Hotels and bars are more in the area of $3-$5 a beer. As mentioned, if you eat at Tico Sodas, think in the area of $6-$10 for a big plate of food, then double that for regular restaurants, triple it if you go upscale. Things that are very pricey here are bug spray and sunscreen, as well as products that Ticos will rarely eat or drink for ex:.....tequila, gin, some whiskeys or exotic cheeses and other specialized meats and imported products. If you stick to Pali or Maxi Pali, or even go to some of the smaller mom/pop stores you will usually pay less, but may not have much of a selection that you are used to. Enjoy!

Mississauga, Canada
5. Re: Prices

Thank you!!

Is there a chain grocery store in Quepos or Manuel?

Will the shopping be better in quepos or Manuel?

Thanks again!!

Mississauga, Canada
6. Re: Prices

one more thing.

How much do u tip?

Is it the normal like in North America.. Or European just rounding up the bill?

Manuel Antonio
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
7. Re: Prices

Pali (in Quepos) and Maxi Pali (just outside of Quepos) are both subsidiaries of Walmart Mexico. Therefore, you are going to get much better prices at those. However, you will get a much more limited selection with mostly National products. This may not be an issue, though I find kids really want what they are familiar with in which case Super Joseth (manuel Antonio) or Super Mas (Quepos) which both have many many more international products. As far as tipping, normal is $5-$10 per person for tours depending on how hard and dangerous the tour is. Maids usually are around $5 a day, and house managers (if in a private home) usually receive $10-$20 per day depending on their level of service and how many people are staying in the house. Restaurants include 10% service chg, though most people add a little more to the bill, or hand a little more directly to their waiter. It is nice of you to ask, as this area depends on tipping to make a decent living, so thank you for caring!! Enjoy!

Mississauga, Canada
8. Re: Prices

thanks for your help.. Pali will do just great I think for basic Items!!

Wow 5$ for maid? I'm staying in what I would call maybe a 2.5 star hotel.

5$ seems a bit high no? I hope they dont expect 5

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
9. Re: Prices

Better to leave nothing than insult someone with a handful of change, if $5 is too high.

Mississauga, Canada
10. Re: Prices

Thanks Sara. If everyone would be tipping maids 5$ in Costa Rica, the maids would be pretty well off!! Considering they do easily clean 20 rooms per day...some even 30...

That's like you saying I should be tipping maids 20-30$ in Japan.