We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manuel Antonio with Toddler - Car seat, travel safety, etc

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Guelph, Canada
reviews: 10
Manuel Antonio with Toddler - Car seat, travel safety, etc

We're going to in Manuel Antonio for a week with our 2-year-old. Still undecided whether we'll fly, rent a car, or get a driver for the trip from the San Jose airport.

Any thoughts on car travel safety with a kiddo? Do most rental cars and drivers' cars accommodate LATCH-type car seat attachments? What about traveling in taxis and public buses - for instance, between Quepos and Manuel Antonio?

Thanks for any input!!!

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 7
1. Re: Manuel Antonio with Toddler - Car seat, travel safety, etc

Assume that buses and taxis will not have any kind of car seat. Car companies will rent them but whether they are what you're looking for is another issue. You would have to check with the car rental company whether they can accommodate LATCH-type seat. I imagine that would depend on how new the car is, wouldn't it? I'd be tempted to take the car option with a two year old unless you really don't think you're going any where far in Manuel Antonio. I have found the car seat great for flying with a small child but that's for long flights so they can sleep.

Costa Ricans generally adore small children so expect to be fussed over!

Manuel Antonio
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
2. Re: Manuel Antonio with Toddler - Car seat, travel safety, etc

I lean towards the rental car (some companies will throw in the baby seat if you ask) or the private driver (be sure to request baby seat). This will mean less waiting at airports, and easy bathroom stops, etc whenever needed. Also, the domestic airlines are very strict on luggage weight and babies can entail a bit of extra stuff to lug around which can add up in extra luggage charges when flying. Cars is what I see most parents do with kids that young. Enjoy!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
3. Re: Manuel Antonio with Toddler - Car seat, travel safety, etc

Any private transportation company will have the child seats available and FREE of chrage!

Just be sure to request them at reservation...

roadadvisor

4. Re: Manuel Antonio with Toddler - Car seat, travel safety, etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 08, 2014