We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fare Increase On Local Quepos MA Bus

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 16
Fare Increase On Local Quepos MA Bus

A few days ago the bus fare increased from 250 to 285 colones.

The fare is still a great bargain for tourists as it converts to less than 60 cents US.

But when you think of it, it is a 14% increase and for some locals who rely on buses going back and forth to work etc. it adds up.

I think other routes across the country also increased but I don't have specific details.

raquel

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 136
1. Re: Fare Increase On Local Quepos MA Bus

CR has been battling inflation for years now, fuel is not not cheap nor doing business these days, if you are complaining about a bus far going from $0.50 to $0.62 then I feel sorry for you, as all fares went up in CR last week. Manual Antonio is the most touristy and pricey area of the country, why even go there to start with? The park is overrun and you can hike all trails in 2 hours. In 10 years and 40 trips to CR, this area is for honeymooners, couples, families and package tourist...not exactly authentic, compared to Tortuguero, Corcovado, Rincon, Tenorio, Arenal, Beru, Gonduca.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 16
2. Re: Fare Increase On Local Quepos MA Bus

Solohobo,

If you read my message, I am not complaining just advising people. And it is not a big deal for tourists. I was commenting that for Ticos living their day to day lives - it gets harder and harder.

And yes I personally know that CR is not cheap and unfortunately MA is pricey - especially if you do things and buy things catering to tourists.

And yes I mentioned the probably most fares went up in most of the country. I know that the Alajuela buses that were under 500 colones last month were over 500 now.

As to your second point - which has nothing to do with the subject - yes Manuel Antonio is not for everyone. Many people are looking for more "authentic" experiences. However we all travel differently and have different standards, expectations and requirements. So for some Manuel Antonio is a good place to visit. There is a good choice in hotels, restaurant, shops and activities and a nice beach. You have a good chance of seeing monkeys and some other animals. Nothing wrong with the other places Luckily not everyone decides to go to the same places.

pura vida

raquel

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
3. Re: Fare Increase On Local Quepos MA Bus

Thanks for the info Raquel, nice to let folks know.

Solohobo, relax ... maybe read and understand a bit more before going off on your high horse... I do not see a single complaint made by Raquel, simply informing people, which she does well.

Manuel Antonio may not be for everyone, but I have lived here for 15 years and I still dig the place. Just because it isn't your cup of tea, remember most folks including Costa Ricans themselves love it. You will find more Costa Ricans on vacation there than anyone else on any given day.

As Raquel said everyone is different and what does not appeal to one may appeal to another.

Merry Christmas folks

4. Re: Fare Increase On Local Quepos MA Bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 26, 2013