We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MA to SJO 9AM flight

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Commerce Township...
MA to SJO 9AM flight

Our flight home was moved up by airline to 9AM on a Saturday. We prefer not to cut our vacation short and booked place in MA already before airline changed flight time. Is it realistic to drive from MA to SJO leaving at 3AM, or is it unsafe to drive in the dark?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
1. Re: MA to SJO 9AM flight

The road 34 and 27 are good roads...just common sense...3am is a good time to leave MA..enough time in case you need some extra time...and very nice in that way you can have a relax ride...be sure to let the rent a car know that you are getting to SJO by 6am...

Rladadvisor

Edited: 10:19 am, December 18, 2012
Manuel Antonio...
reviews: 36
2. Re: MA to SJO 9AM flight

I've done that before and it is workable......or even better.....drop the rental car in Manuel Antonio and have a private van/driver pick you up and take you right to the airport.......at that time....they can make it in 2.5 hours......and no time needed to drop the rental car......plus you can sleep......you could leave at 4:30 AM.....check with roadadvisor above for a rate!

Tulemar Dave

Manuel Antonio
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
3. Re: MA to SJO 9AM flight

The drive is not that difficult, especially at that hour when there are few cars on the road. However, make sure with your rental car company that they will be open to receive the car and leave time for that part. Otherwise, I would go with Dave's suggestion and have a driver take you. For a little extra money it is worth getting that last day in our area in my opinion! Enjoy!

La Fortuna de San...
reviews: 104
4. Re: MA to SJO 9AM flight

I agree with Tulemar Dave...that early (and not being a local driving in the dark) it's much less stressful to leave the car in MA and get a driver. That way you get dropped off curb side at the airport. Also, as LivNLarge said, you'll need to figure out what the process is if you do decide to drive, for dropping off the car so early. My first suggestion is to go with option #1....a stress free end to a fabulous vacation. :-)