We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Vacation Notes

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 2
Our Vacation Notes

Highlights--

We traveled flew into San Jose and hired Mr. Alex ( Alessandro Cirla Figueroa <acirla@graylinecostarica.travel) to drive us to Manuel Antonio. Do not use Danny (Danny Jimenez - crdannytravels@yahoo.com) as others have recommended...completely unreliable. He was having some issues and never called--he just didn't show up. Only when our concierage called him on our behalf did he find someone else to drive us who showed up and hour 1/2 later. By that time we found Mr. Alex and he was ready in ten minutes to take us to Manuel Antonio. Mr. Alex was amazing--he stopped wherever we wanted no extra charges and was always prompt --very knowledgeable and excellent English.

--Casa Barba Roja--PURA VIDA. Love this house, the location, the view. Everything. If you want a house that looks out over the Pacific with a pool--this is it. Monkeys come to you. Sigh miss it sooo much. The concierage Shirley Clark is amazing.

--Valmy Tours--The best horseback riding experience I've ever had...my eight year old and four year old loved every minute of it. Che and Valentin were just fantastic people to meet and we learned so much from them.

--National Park is beautiful, but I will say that hiring a guide is a must our guide was Juan from :http://www.aguilatours.com/. He was soo good other guides were following him.

--Midworld Ziplining was a great experience for my husband and eight year old.

--Damas Mangrove Tour was definitely worth while --we saw an entire troupe of monkeys up close

--We opted to hire a professional photographer to take family photos while we were there--Chloe Murdoch is amazing. The pictures are fantastic and she is a pleasure to work with.

Wow did we have a great trip. Thanks to all who answered all my questions and helped guide me in the right directions.

Enjoy your trip to Costa Rica!

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
1. Re: Our Vacation Notes

Glad to hear you had a good trip. Bummer that things did not work out with Danny, he has good reviews, this is the first bad one I have ever seen. Bad news for Danny... Glad Alex came through for you though. Thanks for taking the time to post for others.

Cheers

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
2. Re: Our Vacation Notes

Thank for nice post...sorry about the transfer

..maybe his wi as not working...

Roadadvisor

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
3. Re: Our Vacation Notes

Thank for nice post...sorry about the transfer

..maybe his wi as not working...

Roadadvisor

Peachtree City
reviews: 15
4. Re: Our Vacation Notes

We are staying at Casa Barba Roja too so I was very happy to get your positive review! I had planned on having family pics done; can I get Chloe's contact info?

Thanks!!

So. Cali
reviews: 24
5. Re: Our Vacation Notes

I love your notes and my husband is going to contact Alex about driving. Did you use him for your whole stay or just the day? Any additional info will be helpful

Belmar, New Jersey
reviews: 1
6. Re: Our Vacation Notes

Thank you for your notes. My wife and I are planning on spending 7 nights at GAIN resort in February, and we were wondering if 7 nights is too long? We plan on spending a full day on one of the beaches.

Also, did you use taxi's there or use a driver.

Thank you,

Mark

Arlington, Virginia
7. Re: Our Vacation Notes

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you--some reason your message didn't get forwarded to my email or maybe it went to my spam, will check. I hope you haven't gone yet and I can still be helpful...it's chole@chloemurdochphotography.com

She's fantastic.

Hope your trip is wonderful,

Joanne

Arlington, Virginia
8. Re: Our Vacation Notes

I don't think 7 nights is too long, but then we have two kiddos and did a lot of excursions. So it's really up to the kind of traveler you are. If we had been without kids we probably would have gone to arenal volcano as well, but we loved MA so much that we did not mind staying put.

Alex(see above) drove us to our rental house and picked us up on our returning day. DO NOT USE Danny--very unreliable and he did not have wi fi issues as he was reached by our hotel concierage easily. He just did not care.

Arlington, Virginia
9. Re: Our Vacation Notes

You really don't need a driver during your stay in MA because all excursions pick you up at the house and the beach is a short taxi down to the beach. It's near everything else you need. Pure Vida!

Regards,

Joanne

Manuel Antonio...
10. Re: Our Vacation Notes

Great report. I am glad you enjoyed the tour with me. Send more of your friends down to visit the country. I am sure everyone will appreciated more work during the after crisis years. NATUREGUIDE

Get answers to your questions about Manuel Antonio...