We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birding Costa Rica San Gerardo and Manuel Antonio

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Clarksdale...
reviews: 3
Birding Costa Rica San Gerardo and Manuel Antonio

My sister and I are scheduled Thor trip to Costa Rica dec. 1. We plan to hire driver to take. Us to san Gerardo de Dota and spend 2 nights. Then drive ourselves to Manuel Antonio for 3 nights.

I am worried about the driving. Is it safe for2 women. Are drivers too aggressive or crazy to risk the trip without hiring a driver.

2). Any thoughts about birding along the way or in Manuel Antonio? We would like to hire GOOD local guide in MP area

Madison
reviews: 10
11. Re: Birding Costa Rica San Gerardo and Manuel Antonio

Also....I recommend if you are birders to get a guide and take a morning trip to Carara or Los Quetzales park. However if you are unable to there are some nie spots for cool birds. Check these out

Orotina- in the city park there is a Black and White owl that has been there a few years that is visible in the trees during the day. Its awesome. Look for scat on ground and its usually above.

Macawa hang out near the highway around the evening outside Jaco. They are also seen during late afternoon river rides and at Carara. Not sure for December.

We have heard and seen Guan two different times at the Tiki zip line location.

Moat of all have fun. If you need a great guide that is flexible let me know...happy to help fellow birders in MA!

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
reviews: 75
12. Re: Birding Costa Rica San Gerardo and Manuel Antonio

Carara/tarcoles is the best place to see macaws, maybe anywhere in the country--certainly outside of Osa peninsula.

Toucans are a bit hit and miss wherever you go. Best place in the country for toucans is Sarapiqui area.

It's possible to see birds in Manuel Antonio, yes, but it pales in comparison to other areas like those already mentioned.

New York City, New...
13. Re: Birding Costa Rica San Gerardo and Manuel Antonio

Thank you, xelas, MadmanWi, Recandee for taking the time to answer my questions.

It is encouraging to know that it's possible to see Toucans in MA area, and MadmanWi, I like the list of birds that you saw!

It looks like we may want to take a trip to Carara, but I'm still not sure how. Maybe we can arrange the tour w/ a hotel once we get there? (We still don't know where we are staying in MA. We are researching right now.)

Thanks again!

Manuel Antonio
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
14. Re: Birding Costa Rica San Gerardo and Manuel Antonio

Totally agree with Madman. Birding is very good for toucans, ari caris, tanagers, hawks, and so much more in our area. Macaws are prominent in the Carara and Jaco areas, or you need to go south to the Osa area. If you are not a dedicated birder, you will find great opportunities in this area. Enjoy!

San Jose, Costa Rica
15. Re: Birding Costa Rica San Gerardo and Manuel Antonio

Carara is only an hour or so away from Manuel Antonio, all of the hotel desks and local tour agencies can arrange a birding trip up to Carara...

guanacaste
reviews: 31
16. Re: Birding Costa Rica San Gerardo and Manuel Antonio

Skimble , how was your birding ?

Milton...
reviews: 6
17. Re: Birding Costa Rica San Gerardo and Manuel Antonio

No one mentioned the amazing San Geraldo de Dota: I've stayed at the wonderful Savegre Mountain Inn 4 times and have seen dozens of quetzales and numerous amazing other birds in this beautiful hidden valley - trout streams, hummingbird gardens, terrific food, I can't say enough. First found it through a RoadScholar birding trip, in which we saw 330 species in 10 days!

nebraska
reviews: 40
18. Re: Birding Costa Rica San Gerardo and Manuel Antonio

For birding Carara, I suggest Victor. He can arrange transportation for younfrom MA. http://www.victourscr.com/

19. Re: Birding Costa Rica San Gerardo and Manuel Antonio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, December 16, 2013