We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please provide some snorkeling advice

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kailua, Hawaii
reviews: 1
Please provide some snorkeling advice

We will be staying just south of Quepos the first week of December.

We really enjoy snorkeling. We live half the year in Hawaii, so have lots of opportunities there, and have snorkeled in Cozumel, Antigua, Bermuda, Guam, Truk, and other Micronesian islands.

We'd like to snorkel in Costa Rica, but understand that the snorkeling is not spectacular. We are not willing to spend the time and money (and possible seasickness) to take a long boat trip offshore. The beach just below our rental is called Las Playitas by the locals. It is just an extension of Espadilla Beach which is the main beach in Manuel Antonio.

That leads to the following two questions:

If we snorkel off that beach, or any others nearby, are we likely to see fish and coral? (Hoping that the ranfall is minimal to preclude lots of runoff).

Any suggestions for specific spots?

Thanks in advance,

Hank

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 22
1. Re: Please provide some snorkeling advice

If you live half the year in Hawaii I would not bother to bring snorkel gear to Costa Rica - there's just nothing comparable. Costa Rica does have lots of other adventures and incredible wildlife so just concentrate on enjoying that instead.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
2. Re: Please provide some snorkeling advice

i wouldn't get my hopes up. i haven't heard of any snorkeling in that area. i've snorkeled isla tortuga, isla cano and golfo dulce. all three spots had decent-to-really good fishlife and the coral, while beautiful, was sparse. all in all i enjoyed it and would go again. if you can find some shallow rocks, then you stand a pretty good chance of getting to see some fish.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
reviews: 29
3. Re: Please provide some snorkeling advice

If you are serious about some snorkling in Costa Rica based out of Manuel Antonio, would recomend Caño Island or Marino Ballena Park. Tours leave from Uvita abut 1 hour drive from Manuel Antonio, tours usualy leave at 800am so would need to book with one of the operators and leave MA at about 630am to get to Uvita in time.

Manuel Antonio...
reviews: 43
4. Re: Please provide some snorkeling advice

Pass on the snorkeling.......it will not come close to what you have experienced......and we have lots of other interesting things to do....the national park.....the mangroves.......the waterfalls.......zip lines......rafting......have a great trip.

Tulemar Dave

5. Re: Please provide some snorkeling advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, December 16, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Manuel Antonio...