We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jose

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Norfolk, Virginia
San Jose

Planning on trip in December of this year. Would it be easier to travel to Manuel Antonio from San Jose or go to Arenal Volcano Region and then travel to Manuel Antonio? Thanks for your help.

Atlanta, GA
reviews: 1
1. Re: San Jose

I'd look at doing Arenal first, then taking the direct Nature Air flight from Arenal to Quepos, then drive back to San Jose. That new flight is great, takes 30 min, instead of 5 hrs driving.

Norfolk, Virginia
2. Re: San Jose

Thanks for responding.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
3. Re: San Jose

Of course it is easier to drive from San Jose to Manuel Antonio...no more than 2.45 hours the most 3 hours...nice road all the way...a lot to see along the way!

roadadvisor

Manuel Antonio
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
4. Re: San Jose

It's much easier to drive directly to Manuel Antonio, but many people do the loop from Arenal to Manuel Antonio all the time. Much depends on what time in December, as if its the end of the year, it may depend on where you can find space in hotels. Enjoy!

Atlanta, GA
reviews: 1
5. Re: San Jose

If you did choose to drive the whole thing (which as others mentionis a nice drive, albeit a long one, but plenty of people do it - I've done it several times). Manuel Antonio is about 30 min closer to SJO airport, but the road to SJO is the new highway and easier to traverse than the road from SJO to Arenal. I'd probably do Arenal first then MAT. If you decide to drive from Arenal to Manuel Antonio, there's some nice stops along the way...towns of Sarchi, Grcia, Zacero; Poas Volcano (before 11am), coffee plantations, La Paz Waterfall gardens. I'd turn the drive into a tour to break it up somewhat.

6. Re: San Jose

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 28, 2013