We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manuel Antonio to Arenal

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ddrpr@aol.com
Manuel Antonio to Arenal

We have been thinking of staying in MA as a base. Is it worth staying somewhere else for part of the time during a week-long trip in December? Is Arenal worth going to? What's the best way to do this?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 54
1. Re: Manuel Antonio to Arenal

Yes, divide your week. Arenal has plenty to do, outdoor activities and tours. Depends on your personal taste but usually people start with activities (Arenal) and ends with relaxation (MA).

Manuel Antonio
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
2. Re: Manuel Antonio to Arenal

Both places have plenty to do for one week, so it is hard to decide and much depends on your travel style. If you like a nice mix of beach and mountain, then definitely split the trip. If you want to relax more, then there is more flexibility in Manuel Antonio for beaches and great tours. Enjoy!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
3. Re: Manuel Antonio to Arenal

Perfect combination...and worth it...you can rent a car...take shuttles or hire a private driver..

roadadvisor

California
reviews: 7
4. Re: Manuel Antonio to Arenal

You definitely have to go both places. I just came back from there. Here is my trip...

Day 1 - flew in to Liberia. Rented a car and went for an overnight to coco beach(papagayo gulf). I was not that impressed with that area so only stayed 1 day.

Day 2 and 3 - drove to La Fortuna(arenal area). It's close to 3.5 hour drive. Very nice drive around the lake but would not drive at night, road is in good condition but it is very wavy road. Stayed for 2 nights there. Lots of activities there so you won't be board. If you like hot springs you might wanna check out tabacon hot springs, it's the best I've ever seen. By the way if you there for more than a day, I would suggest you to go there day 1 in the evening and pay $45 for entrance instead of $70 if you got in the morning or afternoon. Keep the bracelet and go back there free next day. ;) I stayed at mountain paradise, was really happy with a place.

Day 4 and 5 - drove to Manuel Antonio. It takes 4 to 5 hours. Beautiful drive. Roads are very wavy there as well up until San Ramon, after it gets a bit better. Stayed at Los Altos resort. It's very very nice place. 2500 sq ft luxury condos overlooking ocean. Super nice and in the middle of the city so everything is close by. By the way if you go to Manuel Antonio park don't get fooled by people trying to stop you before you get to park entrance to park your car. Get as close as possible to the entrance and pay no more then 2000 colones so they watch your car. Don't forget to take everything out of the car. When I was these somebody broke in the car next to mine. Oh and f you stop on the side of the road and leave the car out of the site don't forget to lock it and take all the valuables out of the car.

Hope this helps

Enjoy

I loved costa rica, hope you will as well

5. Re: Manuel Antonio to Arenal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, December 15, 2013