We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off the Beaten Path near MA

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
los angeles CA
Off the Beaten Path near MA

We are coming to MA in early December and we like to take drives to places off the tourist track. Sometimes we just get in a car and drive to see something new. I wondering if anyone has any suggestions for that kinda trip. The road to Dominacal seems interesting along the the coast but is that still touristy ( I also like touristy stuff just not on an adventure drive).

Thanks for help in advance

Skijimbo

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 22
1. Re: Off the Beaten Path near MA

The highway to Dominical is one of the best in the country but the roadside along that drive is completely undeveloped once you get south of the Quepos airport. Check out Hacienda Baru just north of Dominical for great rainforest hiking.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 57
2. Re: Off the Beaten Path near MA

Take the coastal road to Dominical and turn left in the hill toward San isidro del General. Walk the town, have a lunch. Continue on Pan American to Paso Real then turn right . Visit Boruca village for their famous masks. Drive back to MA on coastal road.

San Jose, Costa Rica
3. Re: Off the Beaten Path near MA

I would suggest the Hacienda Baru close to Dominical. It is a great place for a rainforest hike.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
reviews: 34
4. Re: Off the Beaten Path near MA

Great suggestions above. Once you start travelling down South past Quepos you will find everything a lot less touristy.

As Crfan great info once of the highway there are many beaches that are not developed Playa Matapalo or you will find Playa Guapiles deserted but very nie. Dominical is very small and tourism is localised skip that and go have a look at Marino Ballena park in Uvita, the beach is nearly deserted or a bit further south Playa Ventanas.

As per Xelas great idea a trip to San Isidro de General is a non touristy safe town you can walk around and have a meal at a local soda and explore a bit.

Hacienda Baru is a nice reserve not touristy, you can explore it and there is a trail that takes you to a beach, you will not find anyone there.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 9
5. Re: Off the Beaten Path near MA

Wow! So many great suggestions. Playa Matapalo and Marino Ballena park would be very high up on my list of beaches on the less touristy route. San Isidro de General is a 'real' town and a good place for seeing Costa Rican life away from the traditional tourist route. Whatever gems you discover for yourselves, please share!

London, United...
6. Re: Off the Beaten Path near MA

http://www.frontiercostarica.com/

This is about as far as you can go off the beaten path in Costa Rica!

Edited: 12:11 pm, September 10, 2012
Manuel Antonio
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
7. Re: Off the Beaten Path near MA

The drive south toward Dominical and even San Isidro is pretty, very easy and NOT touristy at all! You can also drive out to the Spice Farm in Villa Nueva, as well as Rainmaker park, Carara National Park, the beaches north of Quepos (like Palo Seco, Playa Bandera, Playa Bejuco, etc), you just need to watch for the small signs as you head back to SJ to know where to turn off. Warning though....some of these isolated beaches can have strong rip tides, so please be careful and aware. Enjoy!

los angeles CA
8. Re: Off the Beaten Path near MA

Thanks to everyone for the travel tips.

How does Hacienda Baru compare to the rainmaker park?

I see rainmaker can be guided or self guided but Hacienda Baru looks like it is guided only. Does anyone know the answer?

Thanks

Skijimbo

St. Petersburg...
reviews: 32
9. Re: Off the Beaten Path near MA

Not sure if anything has changed but when we were at Hacienda Baru, we only paid a small fee. think around $3, and they gave us a small map, no guide needed. We did two of the trails, saw a good amount of wildlife.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 57
10. Re: Off the Beaten Path near MA

In Hacienda Baru there are guided hikes and, in the lowland area, also self guided trails. Cannot compare to Rainmaker Park but others that I have visited are quite similar re. hiking trails etc (of course the environment is different).

Get answers to your questions about Manuel Antonio...