We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manuel Antonio taxis

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
los angeles CA
Manuel Antonio taxis

Could someone clarify the taxi situation for me. I was told that a taxi from Agau Azul area to the beach cost 5-7 per person. Which means for 4 ppl the trip would cost 20-28 each way. It would be cheaper to rent a car if that is correct. I think they meant 5-7 each way, which seems reasonable Does anybody know the facts.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
1. Re: Manuel Antonio taxis

I have never felt more ripped off by taxi drivers than in Manuel Antonio. Very simple though, insist with any red taxi anywhere in the country that they start their meter when you get in. By law they are supposed to do this, its when they don't that people start to get ripped off. If they refuse to do this ask them what the taxi number is and report them to the company, they will comply, they know exactly what they are doing.

Last time I was there one tried to charge me $10 for a $2 ride, I told the driver he was out of his mind, that I have lived here for 15 years and knew the law and my rights, asked for his taxi number and ID - Long story short I got my $2 Taxi.

If they refuse to turn on the meter find another taxi. I will say I have no idea where the hotel is where you are staying, my advice is taxis in general.

Cheers and good luck

Manuel Antonio
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
2. Re: Manuel Antonio taxis

First of all, the taxi should not cost more than $6-$8 to go anywhere in our area. That is for the WHOLE taxi, not per person. Also, it is not customary to tip drivers. It is very important to know that almost NO taxi in our area has the meter hooked up, it just doesn't work that way in our area, so you could spend a long time trying to find a metered taxi. I have never been overcharged in a taxi, but its easy to tell them where you are going, agree on a price, and then get in and go if you want to play it safe! Enjoy!

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
3. Re: Manuel Antonio taxis

Thanks for elaborating on the meter thing LivNLarge. I did not realize that the majority of the taxis in your area had the same lack of meters. BIG TIME against the law to operate without a meter. I took maybe 3 taxis the last time I was down your way, each time was an issue of one kind or another.

LivNLarge knows the area quite well, if she says a metered taxi will be hard to come by I have no doubt she is correct. follow her advice in this case of negotiating before the taxi even starts moving.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 14
4. Re: Manuel Antonio taxis

yes, it is just like LivNlarge says. I think in my 20 years of coming to the area area I have been in one taxi that actually turned his metre on. And the irony was that for whereI was going,- into Quepos, often the cabs without the metre just charge about 2000 colones and the metred cost was 2100..

Another trick - if a taxi is going toward quepos and sees you on the road and flashes his lights - you just pay 500 colones per person - though he may pick up others along the way. So if you see that just say the word Colectivo and if he says yes - that is all you will need to pay...

From Agua Azul - to the beach - it is very easy to take the public bus during the daytime since Agua Azul is just off the main road.

raquel

los angeles CA
5. Re: Manuel Antonio taxis

Thank you for the quick info

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
6. Re: Manuel Antonio taxis

Yes I agree with Liv and Large and Raquel...that is the way it is!

roadadvisor

San Jose, Costa Rica
7. Re: Manuel Antonio taxis

That rate must be for the taxi trip not per person.

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
reviews: 59
8. Re: Manuel Antonio taxis

The collectivo taxi is really a great way to save some money and the bus is even better! I've seen a few meters here but this is when I called for a taxi and my pick up was well off the main road. ( or it seemed that way anyway!) re: buses, plenty of them run between Quepos and the Park and they will drop you anywhere enroute if you advise the driver of your destination. By the way, Agua Azul is one of my favs. Remember they are closed on Wednesday!

Boulder, Colorado
reviews: 18
9. Re: Manuel Antonio taxis

For most of your local travel I would advise taking the public bus.

The route between Quepos and MA leaves each way every 30 minutes with many possible stops along the way. It runs from early morning to late night and is fun albeit usually crowded.

The cost per person is around 250 colones (fifty US cents).

Hudson, Iowa
reviews: 59
10. Re: Manuel Antonio taxis

If you can, just take the bus. It is really easy, ALOT cheaper, and just a FUN experience. Don't worry, it is very safe. Have a great time!