We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we need a car to get around once at our hotel in MA?

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Duluth, Minnesota
Do we need a car to get around once at our hotel in MA?

We are planning to stay for a week at the Hotel Parador in June 2013. The package comes with transportation from SJO to the hotel. My question is will we need a car to travel around the area once we get to the hotel?

I like to explore cities and my wife really likes to shop and walk around to find neat restaurants, etc. I've looked at google maps in the area and it appears that there isn't a lot of those activities to walk to. Would we be better off renting a car at SJO and driving down or only walking from the hotel? Also, are there grocery stores or liquor stores in the area we can walk to to save money?

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
1. Re: Do we need a car to get around once at our hotel in MA?

Parador is a very nice hotel, but you will not be able to walk to shops or restaurants from there. That said, you can easily arrange for a cab by asking the front desk for help. Alternatively you can just rent a car and not worry about it.

Grecia, Costa Rica
reviews: 15
2. Re: Do we need a car to get around once at our hotel in MA?

As explorinCA says, walking won't be much fun, lots of hills, and true, MA is certainly not a city/town/burg/whistle stop to explore. A rental will let you be a little flexible, and perhaps one day a drive up or down the coast to Jaco or Dominical if the mood strikes. In MA there is a Super Joseth(?) mercado/small grocery store to help you stock up, as liquor and beer, snacks, and some N/American treats are found there. I also recommend Cafe Milagro in MA and Quepos for a (full bilingual) snack, excellent coffee, and banana bread to die for. Maybe a Sat morning trip into Quepos for the farmers market, a small yet goody filled place near the waterfront.

Have a great trip.

Duluth, Minnesota
3. Re: Do we need a car to get around once at our hotel in MA?

Would it be better to stay somewhere else then? Are there other options that might fit the scenic beauty/beaches and the shopping my wife desires?

Cartago, Costa Rica
4. Re: Do we need a car to get around once at our hotel in MA?

El Parador has free shuttle to the beach that you can use it has scheduled times. Other areas check Tamarindo in Guanacaste.

Cartago, Costa Rica
5. Re: Do we need a car to get around once at our hotel in MA?

El Parador has free shuttle to the beach that you can use it has scheduled times. Other areas check Tamarindo in Guanacaste. It is flat and lots of shops, restaurants

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
6. Re: Do we need a car to get around once at our hotel in MA?

Parador is located within walking distance Playa Biesanz, which is an absolutely beautiful beach and usually not crowded. Most of the hotels in Manuel Antonio are not within walking distance of shops and restaurants due to the hills and jungle. Keep in mind, the hills and jungle are what makes Manuel Antonio unique and home to so much wildlife.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 124
7. Re: Do we need a car to get around once at our hotel in MA?

We stayed at Mango Moon and were able to walk to restaurants from there - Cafe Milagro, Barba Roja, Cafe Agua Azul, and Salsipuedes. You have to be careful walking along the road though.

Barrie, Canada
reviews: 47
8. Re: Do we need a car to get around once at our hotel in MA?

The public bus goes up and down the main drag frequently and is dirt cheap. For excursions transportation ss usually incluuded. Maybe rent a car for a day or two just to explore.

Edited: 1:44 pm, August 30, 2012
Annapolis...
reviews: 13
9. Re: Do we need a car to get around once at our hotel in MA?

Bus, Taxi or Hotel Shuttle. Save your money.

San Jose, Costa Rica
10. Re: Do we need a car to get around once at our hotel in MA?

No need for car rental in Manuel Antonio. El Parador offers a free shuttle 5 times a day to the public beach by the park which you can use and once there if y ou want to go into town (Quepos) you can take the very inexpensive public bus. Taxis in the area are also not expensive. If you are taking tours, they already include pick up at your hotel.