We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from San Jose to MA at night

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
10 posts
15 reviews
Driving from San Jose to MA at night

My boyfriend and I are planning a long weekend trip to Manuel Antonio, and our plane doesn't arrive until the evening time. We rented a car (Nissan Pathfinder) and are planning on driving there ourselves from the airport. We were a little concerned about driving at night since neither of us has made that dive before, and when we asked our hotel about it they didn't recommend driving at night. The hotel recommended a driver, but we aren't looking to spend that kind of money to get there and back, it would be double the car rental!

Can I get someone's opinion on making that drive at night? We heard it's about 3 hours. We're staying at the Villas Nicolas. We probably would not get on the road out of SJO until 9pm.

chicago
Level Contributor
161 posts
7 reviews
11. Re: Driving from San Jose to MA at night

I just wanted to make sure you're aware of the mandatory car insurance in Costa Rica. I always feel bad for tourists that get what they think are amazing car rental quotes and find out that they need to pay more when they get there. There's a link explaining it on the right side of this page.

Also, do some research on hotels near the airport, just in case you are unable to make it to Manuel Antonio the night of arrival. It is super dark in Costa Rica and you'll need to go slow. I'd add an extra 30-60 minutes on the 3 hour travel time and decide if it's worth making the drive that late at night.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
12. Re: Driving from San Jose to MA at night

Right kind of advice girl222! You too have the travelers safety in mind. Always good to have the "just-in-case" card to play.

USA
Level Contributor
10 posts
15 reviews
13. Re: Driving from San Jose to MA at night

Thank you. Every place we have been to has required liability insurance on our car rentals, so we have a special CC we use with the benefit of worldwide liability. It has more than paid for itself in money and convenience. We are not renting from Budget either.

Thanks everyone, you have all been really helpful! The trip is in 2 weeks so it will be in rain season. We're going to try to catch an earlier flight dependent upon our work/school schedule for the day, but it's a long shot and we don't really mind coming in at night.

nebraska
Level Contributor
556 posts
57 reviews
14. Re: Driving from San Jose to MA at night

Kitty L,

You'll be fine driving--just keep alert.

I've never heard of a case where your Gold or Platinum or Black, etc. credit card liability insurance is adequate for Costa Rica. It's not the Rental companies, it's the Costa Rlcan Law as I understand it. Again, just be prepared that there may be additinal per day charges and then if there isn't--Report back here as it would be good to know. Pura Vida

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
15. Re: Driving from San Jose to MA at night

You should ask your rental car company in advance if they will accept your credit card insurance as some will not. There is a lot of information about this in the sidebar of the main Costa Rica forum.

Manuel Antonio
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
16. Re: Driving from San Jose to MA at night

It is not that big a deal driving at night if you are a seasoned driver and make sure that you don't get a stick shift if you are not used to that. Also, it is not uncommon that your credit card will cover certain aspects of your car insurance, but you need to check with your cc company to be sure. You will still want to get the mandatory "basic" insurance from the rental car company, and for the full coverage, make sure you can fall back on the cc company coverage just to be safe. Enjoy!

17. Re: Driving from San Jose to MA at night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 13, 2013