We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches or towns near MA

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
GA
reviews: 7
Beaches or towns near MA

Coming in next week and have made no plans. We fly into San Jose and plan to rent a car and drive to MA. Total trip is 7 nights. Would like to stay in MA 3nights then start back up the coast. Thinking about arenas del mar. Any suggestions on other towns that would be great. We want direct beach access and want to surf (we are beginners). We want to start in MA, head up to another beach area then finish the trip in pacuare for the final 2 nights. Thanks for any suggestions.

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 4
1. Re: Beaches or towns near MA

Maybe spend a couple of days near Jaco, the surf at Boca Barranca is suited for beginners, or you can take the ferry across to Mal Pais/Santa Teresa.

GA
2. Re: Beaches or towns near MA

We have been Jaco. Looking at Dominical or Uvita. They look to be south of MA. Not sure how how long the drive would be. We plan on renting a car. Playa hermosa looks to be too much surf for a beginner. Santa Teresa looks intriguing but seems to be not too easy to get to for the amount of time we want to spend in another location.

Grecia, Costa Rica
reviews: 15
3. Re: Beaches or towns near MA

Arenas del Mar is beautiful, and often recommended here.

As to your plans for transport, the CR Forum has posted a transport link tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g291982-c109576/Costa-… with some suggested shuttles and private drivers, in case you want to start your vehicle rental in MA.

If the rental is a definite, I recommend Tricolor in SJ, just outside the airport http://www.tricolorcarrental.com/ as my family always has great service from them. Do visit Quepos (next door to MA) and visit Cafe Milagro for super coffee and banana bread (they have a MA spot as well, I prefer the Quepos location, it's quieter). Others will chime in regarding your more southerly plans.

Have a great holiday.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
4. Re: Beaches or towns near MA

Dominical and Uvita great options...about 45 minutes from Paquita...incredible great road..really nice ride...

I stayed overnight last night in Arenas del Mar with some friends...it is a lovely place... the manager Fabian Palma is a great host...as all his crew...Thank you Arenas de Mar!!

Great burgers at Marlin´s by public beach,,,and Aqua Azul at the top of the hill!

For rent a cars...Adobe...National...Avis...Hertz......Toyota ...Alamo...try to avoid mom and pop rent a cars...often own by expats that only God know who they may be and reccomend by others expats...of course they make a commision!

Around UVITA check Tiki Villas they offer some great units...great ocean view...nnice pool...and Thomas and family great people great host!

roadadivsor

GA
5. Re: Beaches or towns near MA

Thanks for the suggestions. We have done a lot of research today since we leave in a few days and have made little plans. Thinking about heading to Uvita for the first 3 days, then spend 2 in MA, then head back to San Jose where we hope to spend the last day whitewater rafting before heading home.

We have considered renting a car the entire time but not sure. We could hire a driver to Uvita then rent and go to MA on our own but not sure where to rent in Uvita and would we be able to return the car in MA or San Jose if we did so??

Grecia, Costa Rica
reviews: 15
6. Re: Beaches or towns near MA

Any of the "name brand" rental agencies will let you rent one place, and drop the next. Usually there is an extra charge. Budget, National are 2 that do.

Have a great trip.

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
7. Re: Beaches or towns near MA

Mapache and Adobe are good local companies. I am an expat, but have no idea how to even set up a commission, nor do I want to. It is sad that I have to say that. I too was a tourist at one point and somehow now have become generalized as a commission hungry expat simply because I share my opinion. I am still trying to figure out when this transition occurred or if it was always that way masked by a smile.

Manuel Antonio
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
8. Re: Beaches or towns near MA

Uvita/Domincal is a great area for surfing and only a quick 30 minute drive South of Manuel Antonio. If you go about 45 mins North, I love the vibe at Playa Hermosa, they just held the CR National Surf finals there last weekend. Then of course there are so many other options as you continue North. If renting a car, I always recommend the larger chains, as they have better backup for you should there be any issue with your car. However, I have had many clients that use smaller agencies (expat or not) and have had excellent results, so no need to get "snarky" or suspicious, however those are harder to pick up in one place and drop off in another. FYI, I am an expat and do not get ANY commission for recommending any of these. Enjoy!

9. Re: Beaches or towns near MA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 13, 2013