We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming in Manuel Antonio

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Swimming in Manuel Antonio

HEY! So I'm a serious swimmer, go for long distance swims, and swim out really far. This isn't a problem in some areas, but other places, it seems to freak people out. I was just wondering, if I did something like swim from Biesanz beach, around the bend to Playitas.... or swim to one of the offshore islands, would the people of MA have a fit about that? Yell at me, put me through a hassle, and tell me that I'm not allowed to do that? Just trying to get a feel for what the place is like. I know it's rocky, and I know there are currents. It's not a problem for me. I'm sure people will want to tell me, "I don't recommend it", but what I'm asking is will I get in trouble and be FORCED to not do it? Where I come from, I'm used to swimming far, and hoping I can do the same in MA without being hassled about it too much.

Oh yeah, about being hassled, is it ok to be on the beaches at night? Again, where I come from, no one cares if I'm relaxing on the beach at night, but I hear some places, they'll kick you off the beach if you're there at night. Hoping MA isn't super strict like that. Thanks.

Edited: 3:26 am, August 23, 2012
Grecia, Costa Rica
reviews: 15
1. Re: Swimming in Manuel Antonio

MA has a nice laid back vibe, but it also has a darker side, I would NOT recommend an evening swim, the very least your towel and flip flops will be gone, or you could have an unfriendly welcoming committee when you come back to land. Do enjoy the water during the day.

One point of concern..you wrote.."and I know there are currents. It's not a problem for me." The waters of MA have a nasty rip tide, we just had another death within the past 2 weeks, but if you care to ignore it and want to go the distance, no one will tell you not to, but they won't be coming to rescue you either. It's just not wise to flip the water gods.

Do have a great and safe holiday, grab a beach ball and stay in-shore...lots of great people to meet.

Toronto, Canada
2. Re: Swimming in Manuel Antonio

Thank you. That was very helpful, and gives me a good idea of the place.

I wouldn't leave stuff on the beach unattended. But when you say there might be an unfriendly welcoming committe on the beach at night.... do you mean gangs, or basically, unfriendly, or roudy groups of people hang out on the beach at night and hassle and/or rob people?

I do have a tendency to just walk around at night, both on the beach, and through streets, just for the sake of walking around, and checking things out when crowds are gone. I figure I'd probably do it in Costa Rica because it might be too hot to walk around for a long time during the day. Also I like star gazing. So you're saying this would be dangerous in MA because I stand the risk of being robbed, or just picked on by people who feel like hassling folks who walk alone?

Edited: 1:08 pm, August 23, 2012
San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
3. Re: Swimming in Manuel Antonio

Dear Sum

Nobody in Manuel Antonio will give you any hard time ...or...or you could have an unfriendly welcoming committee when you come back to land...of course not...people worry about people...and since the area is famous for strong rip tides people will be worry about you .

But from that to have UNFRIENDLY...that is not going to happen...once again Costa Rica is a free country...and until you do not break any law...you can do what ever make you happy...some people wish to be correct all the time...and almost telling us how to run our country...sorry...we are a free country...!

About walking at night...nice to do it...when people are around...and not at dark isolated places..just common sense...any country on the world is about the same...

roadadvisor

roadadvisor

Edited: 1:31 pm, August 23, 2012
Toronto, Canada
4. Re: Swimming in Manuel Antonio

hey roadadvisor, thanks, I think. It's just that when the poster said, "you might have an unfriendly welcoming committee", the fear I had was that there would be thieves or drunk or rowdy people waiting for me to either rob me, hassle/threaten me, or pick a fight with me. I'm sure there are some places in the world where it is common for people to be jerks like that. I'd just like to get an idea that MA isn't like that.

I'm sure it's possible to be hassled or robbed or get in fights anywhere. I just want to make sure that isn't the norm...... like if I go to the beach at night, I would DEFINITELY be robbed or beat up because that's just the expected thing to happen in Costa Rica. Thanks, it sounds like a nice place.

San Jose, Costa Rica
5. Re: Swimming in Manuel Antonio

There is some crime in Costa Rica as well as in the rest of the word. You just need to take the necesary safety preacautions you would take anywhere in the work and you should be fine, that includes no walking alone on dark places. Be a ware of your sourroundings. Most people are friendly and eager to help. Have a great trip.

Grecia, Costa Rica
reviews: 15
6. Re: Swimming in Manuel Antonio

Not definitely SumG, but why take a chance on a darkening beach? There are those in the MA area who make it a point to know who is a local without any $$$, and the travelers that do.

Don't take chances, as the great advice from MikeA943 points out.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 14
7. Re: Swimming in Manuel Antonio

On the main Manuel Antonio public beach - Playa Espadilla, there are actually some lifeguards on duty during the day. They watch the water conditions for strong currents, rips etc. If they think the conditions are dangerous, they will start blowing their whistles and telling people to leave the water. So if you happen to be swimming around there at such a time, you and all other people in the water will be forced to come in.

raquel

Toronto, Canada
8. Re: Swimming in Manuel Antonio

They force everyone to come in? Don't the surfers get pissed?

Manuel Antonio
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
9. Re: Swimming in Manuel Antonio

This honestly would freak me out, as at times the Parasailing boat, the banana boat and any number of Jet Skis and even Coast Guard boats, fishing charters and sail boats cruise around out there. They are not watching for a swimmer to be out in the middle of the ocean. However, no one is really going to give you a hard time, but keep in mind....if you get in trouble, Costa Rica is not always equipped to run out and save you (especially around Beisanz beach), so please think carefully about this. Also, hanging on the beach is not a big problem at night, as long as you do not have any valuables on you.....no reason to tempt fate. Enjoy!

Toronto, Canada
10. Re: Swimming in Manuel Antonio

yeah, actually, I was more worried about boats than currents. I'll see what it looks like. I may just decide to stay near shore. Thanks.