We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walk to Playa Manuel Antonio?

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Walk to Playa Manuel Antonio?

HELLO! I wanted to go to Manuel Antonio long term, especially for the awesome Manuel Antonio beach. But then I heard it costs $10 to enter! Since I want to go to the beach a lot, it would cost too much to pay that regularly. Can one just walk along the coastline from playa Espadilla to Playa Manuel Antonio without paying the entrance fee for Manuel Antonio National Park? Or would this run the risk of being thrown in jail by Costa Rican guards?

Manuel Antonio...
reviews: 34
1. Re: Walk to Playa Manuel Antonio?

Hi....it really is not possible to walk along the public beach and then into the park.....there are natural obstacles (rocks) and it's not legal......you'll have to enter thru the main gates......you'll be fine on any of our other beaches in the area.....lots to do.....or nothng at all!

Tulemar Dave

Manuel Antonio
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
2. Re: Walk to Playa Manuel Antonio?

No, that would not be recommendable. However, the public beaches outside the park are beautiful and you can have a lot of fun on them. There is great people watching, they rent surfboards, boogie boards, chairs and umbrellas, waiters come to serve your food/drink, etc etc., its a very fun vibe and plenty of beach to explore! Enjoy!

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
3. Re: Walk to Playa Manuel Antonio?

Check out Playa Biesanz if you want a beautiful secluded beach. Playa Espadilla, the main beach, is gorgeous as well. You can usually avoid crowds by going to the north end.

Grecia, Costa Rica
reviews: 15
4. Re: Walk to Playa Manuel Antonio?

Take the previous posters advice, and just chill on the beach. You will go through the national park only once, so $10 shouldn't hold you back, as the public beaches are not part of the park.

Had to laugh "Costa Rican guards"..not something you see here.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
5. Re: Walk to Playa Manuel Antonio?

Dear SUM..

The Park Rangers at MA are very proffesional people...some of them even college education...Nothing to laugh about it...I with all my respect I hope you do not have to learn HOW proffesional they can be...not a laughing matter to any decent person!

All our National Parks Rangers belongs to MINAET the Dpt Agency that overllok the safety and protection of our PROUDLY National Parks.

roadadvisor

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
reviews: 59
6. Re: Walk to Playa Manuel Antonio?

Playa Biesanz is a great little beach, very scenic and a good suggestion. Just an FYI, check the tide charts as the beach almost disappears at high tide. Low tide is the best time to enjoy Biesanz!

guanacaste
reviews: 31
7. Re: Walk to Playa Manuel Antonio?

MA is the most visited NP with Poas Volcano. The admission of $10 per person per day is a bargain, you just have to see the beaches at MA.

As for the previous comment, I have to disagree, our Park Rangers are no laughing matter. Very few guards keep 25% of our country that is preserved as protected land, for the good of the country and visitors and the environment. We, most of the forum members, costarricans or non costarricans feel proud of the way the the NP are operated, by professional guards.

Espaldilla is a very good option too.

Enjoy Costa Rica !!!!

Toronto, Canada
8. Re: Walk to Playa Manuel Antonio?

Hey, thanks the replies. I was just checking. If it's not allowed I won't do it. I didn't mean to start a discussion where people are laughing at security guards and somehow offending.... something. I'm sure any security guard is no laughing matter. I try to steer clear of places that have too many because I find that guards have a tendency to hassle some people. I seriously think they will pick on people if they think they can get away with it. This is one of the things that makes me not want to go to a place like Costa Rica, where I hear there are tonnes and tonnes of security guards. It seems that guards will hassle people who haven't done anything wrong, but who are perceived to stand out in some way.... or just totally innocent people who are non agressive. Guards can go on power trips on non agressive persons.

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
9. Re: Walk to Playa Manuel Antonio?

You're not going to find anything close to that description of a security guard here. In fact, you will find the opposite. People are generally very friendly and non-aggressive, whether in uniform or not.

10. Re: Walk to Playa Manuel Antonio?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, August 25, 2013