We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SJO to Manuel Antonio

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
los angeles CA
SJO to Manuel Antonio

We are traveling to Manuel Antonio in December and are wondering if we should know anything special about the trip. We are deciding if we should rent a car or hire a private shuttle.. Our concern is we don't get in to SJO until 830pm and its a 3 hour drive at night in a foreign country. We are thinking this might be difficult for the first time

Thanks

Skijimbo

San Jose, Costa Rica
1. Re: SJO to Manuel Antonio

Dear skijimbo

Maybe a little to late to drive to MA for SJO...even that is a very nice road...maybe spend the night by SJO or hire somebody...

roadadvisor

Grecia, Costa Rica
reviews: 15
2. Re: SJO to Manuel Antonio

The shuttles will not be running that late, so you should find a place to stay the first night. I have recommended The Adventure Inn http://www.adventure-inn.com/, and Eric and Team can arrange a rental, or set up a shuttle for you, In addition, the Forum has put together a list of shuttle companies and private drivers tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g291982-c109576/Costa-… and I personally recommend Danny Jimenez (fully bilingual with wifi in his vehicles) or Juan Carlos. The highways are good all the way to MA, but I don't recommend tackling them at night.

Have fun planning your vacation.

San Jose, Costa Rica
3. Re: SJO to Manuel Antonio

Great advice by Cajon Traveler it might be better to spend the night in Alajuela (by the aoirport) if posible and go to Manuel Antonio the next day, if you arrive by 8:30pm chances are you will get out of the airport by 9:30 or 10pm then it is a 3 hour drive to Manuel Antonio after your flight

San Jose, Costa Rica
4. Re: SJO to Manuel Antonio

If you need a real hotel...near to airport Hampton In...like any airport in USA or even Canada...as they said you will get what you pay for!!

The hotel is just 3 minutes from SJO ...and a real airport hotel...free shuttle...I do not know the owner by is a nice place trust me!

If you do not like big chain hotels...maybe nice Hotel Aeropuerto...also free shuttle and aroung 6 minutes from SJO!

Please enjoy our country as much as we NATIVES DO...such a nice country that even no NATIVES call it home!!

roadadvisor

wisconsin
reviews: 2
5. Re: SJO to Manuel Antonio

Had the same question here. Also landing around 9pm and wanted to hire a driver to go to Manuel Antonio that night. There will be 5 of us and figured 2 and half to 3 hours. Any thoughts?

San Jose, Costa Rica
6. Re: SJO to Manuel Antonio

At night 3 hours and without rain or fog......even that is a great road all the way ...that will be the correct time at nigth time ...during the day and without stops...I drive most of the time...MA to SJO 2:45 hours ...

That drive of yours ...4FB... will be nice if you find somenthing like a recent model Toyota Hiace...nice vans fully A-C...also some nice Mercedez Benz Vans...they also very nice and move fast and safe...some older vans...not really the best...try to dealt with services providers directly...some huge sharks around looking for commision!

roadadvsior

Edited: 10:37 pm, August 17, 2012
Grecia, Costa Rica
reviews: 15
7. Re: SJO to Manuel Antonio

The Hotel Aeropuerto is not a hotel I would recommend, partly because of the location (not convenient to anything, restaurant, or stores) and so-so recent reviews, you can do much better.

As to the decision to shuttle or use a driver, please check the link I provided earlier and ask for some pricing and availability.

Certain posters here on the Forum make it a point to remind you that private transport is the service they offer, and this Forum is NOT a sales office...despite their efforts, so please shop around and compare.

Have a great vacation,

Edited: 10:52 pm, August 17, 2012
los angeles CA
8. Re: SJO to Manuel Antonio

Last question. If I hire a private driver/ van do they drive at night and is that common to do ?

Manuel Antonio
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
9. Re: SJO to Manuel Antonio

Many people choose to stay over night and avoid the trip in the dark, however many more choose to take the trip at night so they can wakeup by the beach which is understandable. The private drivers are fine with making the trip any time of the day or night, so this is great and really the only option for that hour. However, you should check with your hotel or house manager to make sure that a midnight arrival is permitted first. Enjoy!

San Jose, Costa Rica
10. Re: SJO to Manuel Antonio

Any reputable Transportation company will drive you at night just be sure you dealt with a profesional company and dealt direct with services providers!

roadadvisor

Native pride...Costa Rica such a nice country that even no natives call it OUR COUNTRY!