We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December, Mosquitoes and open air houses

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
los angeles CA
December, Mosquitoes and open air houses

We are planning a trip to MA in late November/early December and have some questions about the rental homes.

It seems some house have open air common areas with air conditioned bedrooms while others are fully airconditioned( not many). I'm wondering if we choose an open area house will the mosquitoes eat us alive if we are having dinner or drinks in the evening. Is the mosquito population really bad or am I worrying to much? The open air houses look really cool!

Thanks for any advice in advance.

PS has anyone hired a private chef? We are traveling with 12 people so that sound fun

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
1. Re: December, Mosquitoes and open air houses

Dear skijimbo...

Nice question...nobody can ever guarantee that there will be no mosquitoes...

They are there all the time...BUT...for example in my case they love.me...recently we stayed in a house in the area..by Ronny´s place...and the huge balcony offer some great sitting with a great secondary dinner table...the view is incredible...most of us we spend very nice dinner and conversations there and in my case with some OFF I did have no problems at all..my wife kids and friends the same thing...we have some bites but really not a big deal...

Most of the time they give me hard time between 5 to 7PM...is like they have a watch!

Yes we hire a great private chef a couple nights...incredible nice... .

You can send the private chef well in advance the menu that you may like or the other way ask he or she some recommendations..and he or she will have enough time to have some nice brain storms to come with the best choices...you just ask!

roadadvisor

Manuel Antonio...
reviews: 34
2. Re: December, Mosquitoes and open air houses

I think roadadvisor's comments are correct.....IF you're the type that mosquitos love....they're going to find you in LA or in Manuel Antonio......I'm from Fresno and have lived here for 8 years.....I have an open air house.....I never use bug spray and I never get bites.....the location of the villa is important.....low areas....standing water.....will always draw more mosquitos....another way to look at it.....if it was a big problem.....we wouldn't build open air houses......pick the right one and enjoy!

ps-we have many great private chefs in the area....you're villa concierge can suggest the ones that know your villa and have a good history with their guests.

Tulemar Dave

los angeles CA
3. Re: December, Mosquitoes and open air houses

Hey Dave

Well said

"....another way to look at it.....if it was a big problem.....we wouldn't build open air houses"

Sometimes I worry to much

Thanks

Skijimbo

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
4. Re: December, Mosquitoes and open air houses

You are WELCOME...

Hopefullly we will see you around our country...and enjoy it as much as we NATIVES do!

roadadvisor

Manuel Antonio
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
5. Re: December, Mosquitoes and open air houses

It usually is not a big deal here, and if you are that lucky person the bugs like a little repellent takes care of that as mentioned by the other posters. The private chef service is fabulous and highly recommended. Enjoy!

6. Re: December, Mosquitoes and open air houses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, August 20, 2013