We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Arenal to MA to Tamarindo (or area near there possible?)

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 3
Is Arenal to MA to Tamarindo (or area near there possible?)

I am going to CR in two weeks for ten days...fly in and out of Liberia. First stop is arenal (driving from LIR) then we planned on flying to MA for 2 or 3 nites and then somehow make our way back back to Tamarindo....is it feasible to get from MA to Tamarindo (or around there) driving? if so how long? Is this too ambitious? Also money is a factor, we can't afford to fly from MA to Tamarindo! Basically I need to be within 2 hours of LIR toward the end of our trip....Any help would be appreciated!

San Jose, Costa Rica
1. Re: Is Arenal to MA to Tamarindo (or area near there possible?)

Dear Vitannie

It is 100% doable to drive from MA to Tamarindo...take the Amistad bridge road...great road...about 4.5 to 5 hours drive...

From the Amsitad bridge...to Nicoya...to Santa Cruz...then road to Tamarindo...

roadadvisor

New York City, New...
2. Re: Is Arenal to MA to Tamarindo (or area near there possible?)

Thank you Roadadvisor! Is the ride paved for the most part or do we need a 4x4?

San Jose, Costa Rica
3. Re: Is Arenal to MA to Tamarindo (or area near there possible?)

Dear Vitannie...

The whole road is in great shape...about 10 kms getting close to Tamarindo from the Santa Cruz road can be dusty...and in some cases you may have to slow down...I drive there mini vans...4x4 ...and even low clearance sedans...not a problem...and to answer your question...no you do not need a 4x4...

roadadvisor

Travel Proffesional

San Jose, Costa Rica
4. Re: Is Arenal to MA to Tamarindo (or area near there possible?)

It is a lot of driving but is fine. You do not need a 4x4. Roads are good for the most part some pot holes. From Liberia to Arenal a little over 3 hours, from Arenal to Manuel Antonio approx 5 hours, from Manuel Antonio to Tamarindo approx 4 and a half hours and from tamarindo to Liberia a little over 1 hour. Have a great trip!

Edited: 6:55 pm, August 14, 2012
Manuel Antonio
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
5. Re: Is Arenal to MA to Tamarindo (or area near there possible?)

As mentioned by the other posters, this is totally doable. However, if you are on a tight budget, there are many fabulous beaches in the Northern part of the country, so you might want to limit the driving and flying and just stay up that way. If you decide to come to Manuel Antonio, you won't regret it though, it is beautiful with lots of monkeys! Enjoy!

New York City, New...
6. Re: Is Arenal to MA to Tamarindo (or area near there possible?)

Thank you Livin Large, lol. I think we will have to visit MA another time. I think we will do Arenal and then head back toward Guanacaste area. This may be my frist visit to Costa Rica, but it definitely won't be my last!

7. Re: Is Arenal to MA to Tamarindo (or area near there possible?)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, August 20, 2013