We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manuel Antonio First or Second?

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orland, California
Manuel Antonio First or Second?

Flying in tomorrow morning and making last minute changes to my plans. Not sure what the best course is to take.

Fly in and drive straight to MA where we stay for 2 nights at hopefully Villa Prats or Espadilla Hotel (still waiting to hear if they have any rooms though). La Posada is booked tomorrow night so thats why I'm stressed and confused.

Then drive to Hermosa and stay there for a night. Hit up Jaco and hang out.

Wake up and drive to Arenal for the last 2 nights.

OR

Fly in and drive to Hermosa and stay there for one night then drive to MA the next day

Stay in MA the next two nights

Drive from MA to Arenal for the last two nights

OR

Fly in and drive to Hermosa and stay there until the 18th

Make a day trip to MA

Drive to Arenal on the 18th for end of trip

Any suggestions? Better ideas? Really stumped on the best choice here. I was just told that the days have been starting off sunny in MA, so hopefully that won't change.

San Jose, Costa Rica
1. Re: Manuel Antonio First or Second?

All 3 plans are fine. For a little less time on the road plans 1 and 3 are better but I am sure you will have a great time in the beautiful country with any plan you follow!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
2. Re: Manuel Antonio First or Second?

I like the idea of trying to stay around Playa Hermosa...since is almost stress fee for you guys...and then next day you just have to drive about 1.5 hours to check In at always great La Posada In..Mike is a great person...he runs the hotel...also they offer some great pizza..

roadadvisor

Native pride!

Orland, California
3. Re: Manuel Antonio First or Second?

Thanks so much for the feedback.

How long does it take to get from MA to Arenal realistically?

I'm thinking of leaning more towards going straight to MA from SJO then stop in Hermosa then Arenal or just going down to MA for one night tomorrow night then back to Hermosa for another night before heading up to Arenal.

Orland, California
4. Re: Manuel Antonio First or Second?

And does anyone know how visibility is at the volcano around now? I won't hurry if we can't see anything.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
5. Re: Manuel Antonio First or Second?

From MA to Arenal or the other way around...if you drive slow and stop some times maybe around 5 hours...

The volcano is hard to tell when is going to be clear...I live around the volcano for more than 5 years...and even in months when it was supposed to be 100% clera...it was not...you just need one cloud to stop the view...but also the good news clouds move very fast...I drove there some nice people a few days ago...and from town was not visible once we were by Tabacon it was incredible nice...so...my advicce drive to La Fortuna Waterfalls...or the other dictrion like going to El Castillo...incredible good chances to see the volcano!

roadadvisor

Native pride!!

San Jose, Costa Rica
6. Re: Manuel Antonio First or Second?

From Arenal to Manuel Antonio is really close to 5 hours. From Hermosa 4 hours. Visibility at the Volcano is a matter of luck.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
7. Re: Manuel Antonio First or Second?

You are very WELCOME...Jessica thank you for asking...please do not hesitate to ask any question here at the forum any time...be extra carefull with Solicitation by PM...

roadadvisor

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
reviews: 59
8. Re: Manuel Antonio First or Second?

Honestly all of these are very doable! Sounds like a great itinerary any way you do it. However, assuming you're coming out of Orlando on Jet Blue (?) I would hit the beach the closest and the quickest which is Hermosa. The later you get in the day, the more chance of rain so just that add'l hour to MA might facilitate a rainy arrival. We've been experiencing great morning weather so play it by ear on Day 2. Remember it generally clouds up by mid aft-noon so plan on that and do your adventure activities earlier in the day. Also just an FYI, high tide warnings on the lower coastal areas for the remainder of the week. Safe travels and have a great trip!

Manuel Antonio
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
9. Re: Manuel Antonio First or Second?

Lisa has a good idea to play it by ear and see how the weather is. Its been great lately, only light rains in our area, so may not be an issue. I always like to go to my furthest destination and work my way back, but that is just me. Much depends on what you are looking to do during your trip to. MA has the best variety of tours and wildlife, but Hermosa has a great surf vibe and is centered around that. Do watch the tides as Lisa mentioned wherever you go! Good luck on the volcano sighting, it truly is hit/miss, but worth a shot. Enjoy!

10. Re: Manuel Antonio First or Second?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, August 20, 2013