We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

costa rica in september

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario, California
costa rica in september

I hear it's rainy season at this time. Any hints on what to wear while hiking. Do I wear nylon pants made by Columbia for quick drying, or should i just be comfortable in like weight cargo shorts? Also what shoes should be worn? Do i take acutual hiking boots or are a good pair of water resistant lite weight tennis shoes good enough? I really hate the silly looking sandals by teva or keen, but if these are recommended i will consider them.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 7
1. Re: costa rica in september

Depends where you are planning to go. For Manuel Antonio and other easy-access parks, you don't need hiking stuff as the trails are well marked and maintained. If you're planning to head somewhere less visited and wilder(!) go for long lightweight pants and sturdy footwear that will dry fast. Try to choose material that won't make you sweat - it might be rainy but it is still hot and humid.

Have a great trip!

Grecia, Costa Rica
reviews: 15
2. Re: costa rica in september

The Central Valley is currently experiencing el Niño which has seriously reduced the amount of rainfall. If you travel outside of Manuel Antonio (Sara has given some great advice) then all you will need is regular summer weight clothing. The tennis shoes should be strong enough for the uneven and sometimes broken sidewalk and pavement. It's always beautiful no matter what time of year you visit.

Have fun planning your vacation.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
3. Re: costa rica in september

Our whole country is under El Niño...is a continental weather fatc...and that make the amount of rain to dropp...terrible for our agriculture great for tourism...but still some areas where that weather fact act in the other way ,like some areas on the Atlantic area of my dear country...

It is alwys good idea to wear fast drying clothes and soft hiking boots when necessary...and of course if you are planning some seriuos hikes...soft hiking boots and plenty white socks...

September and October is great weather around the Atlantic area of my country...great summer like...

Thank you for visiting our country and hopefully you enjoy it as much as we NATIVES do!

roadadvisor

Manuel Antonio
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
4. Re: costa rica in september

September can go either way, but usually plan for sunny days and in the afternoons is when we really get the heavy rains generally lasting thru the night. Sometimes we can get some all rainy days thrown in, but it is never cold, so it is usually not that big of a deal. Altho the Teva style sandles aren't my favorite either, I have to say they are perfect for the CR lifestyle of hiking, going on adventure tours, etc. If that just doesn't work for you, then light weight tennis shoes are fine, you will not need hiking boots. Do have a dry pair of tennis for backup though! Enjoy!

Naples, Florida
reviews: 37
5. Re: costa rica in september

Thanks for the advice too. They do make a trail-running tennis shoe. You can get them on www.sierratradingpost.com They range in price from $25 to $150+. I hiked Macchu Picchu in a $40 pair and also wear them to just walk around in. The bottom is stiffer when you step on branches and stuff you don't feel it, BUT they are not waterproof.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
6. Re: costa rica in september

You are WELCOME Ericka..

roadadvisor

7. Re: costa rica in september

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 18, 2013