We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Arenal from SJO by way of La Paz Waterfall Gardens

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Going to Arenal from SJO by way of La Paz Waterfall Gardens

Anyone traveled these roads lately and know if they are ok (given previous earthquake)? Is this a much more difficult route than going Route 4 from SJO? Also, can anyone recommend a place to stay for night near the Waterfall Gardens?

I'm a woman traveling with my 22 year old daughter and want to go a safe but interesting route to Arenal from SJO. Was thinking we could drive to the Waterfall gardens in the afternoon after picking up our rental, then maybe spend the night thereabouts and drive to Arenal the next morning.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 95
1. Re: Going to Arenal from SJO by way of La Paz Waterfall Gardens

The Peace Lodge is a really nice place to stay, and it's right there on the grounds. It can be a little pricey, but the rooms are great with fireplaces, nice views, waterfall showers, etc.

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 4
2. Re: Going to Arenal from SJO by way of La Paz Waterfall Gardens

The keyword is "safe", is by far not "safe" to go that way, especially in the Green Season.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
3. Re: Going to Arenal from SJO by way of La Paz Waterfall Gardens

Dear Austin...

I drive people for living here in my country ...with well over 45 years experience...I will not even try to drive that section of the road ...from the waterfalls to Srapiqui...way to inestable and with some rain even get more dangerous...not even the DOT of Costa Rica certified that section that means that any accident you are in your own and the insurance can said NO at your coverage!

Spend about 1.5 more hours and go by the regular roads...in my case I do not like to take chances...

roadadvisor

Manuel Antonio
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
4. Re: Going to Arenal from SJO by way of La Paz Waterfall Gardens

I agree with the other posters, stick to the main roads and in the end it will be much faster. Peace Lodge is by far the nicest hotel up there, but you can try Bosque de Paz hotel, as well as Poas Volcano Lodge....both are great properties. Also, it is not hard to stay near the airport or surrounding areas and drive up in under 1.5 hrs to see the volcano and/or waterfall gardens for the day and then head back to your hotel in the Alajuela area. Enjoy!

5. Re: Going to Arenal from SJO by way of La Paz Waterfall Gardens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, August 21, 2013