We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Watch out for parking scam

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seabrook, Texas...
reviews: 13
Watch out for parking scam

There are several other posts regarding parking but I could not find a recent one so I am posting this info.

As you are driving toward the park, there are several "parking areas" that are not related to the park. They lied and said that they were and that the parking for the park was closed for maintenance and this was where we had to park. I did, but felt something was wrong. There happened to be two police standing nearby and I questioned them about the parking. They were extremely helpful. Went back with me to get my car so that I did not have to pay and chastised the "attendants" for scamming me.

Now, the police won't do anything about it unless you ask, so I was lucky they were standing there. Also, when I told the hotel, I was told that I should have been advised of this when I checked in. So, maybe other hotels warn their guests.

It's a wonderful place, but as with anywhere you have to be on your toes.

nebraska
reviews: 39
1. Re: Watch out for parking scam

I don't know what you were told and I am sorry if you were lied to. But, it IS a good place to park. As you know, MA is very crowded and being near the exit of the park was good for us. We knew it wasn't the "official" parking for the park but our car was off the street with easy access.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
2. Re: Watch out for parking scam

Thank you nice and valid advice...just said no to any person aprocching you offering services!

roadadvisor

Montrose, Colorado
reviews: 13
3. Re: Watch out for parking scam

I think I'll agree with Joyce. It is a very convenient place to park, and your car is right there if you decide to exit the park along the beach.

Yes, it is a scam, but they will watch your car, and it is only a couple of bucks.

Manuel Antonio
reviews: 19
4. Re: Watch out for parking scam

Well, here is what you dont see, many are honest and others are not, the FIRST group of guys who hang out near a place called Mar y sombra will pretty much walk in front of your car leaving no option but stop, they lie saying they are official or they are park rangers or the new one I just read in this forum "the park parking lot is closed due to maintenance". This is not the safest place to park, I saw a 160 pounds scammer laying on the hood of car he was supposed to be taking care of!!

I suggest If they stop you just tell em you're going to a restaurant or something, my recommendations for parking are the one near marlin restaurant it is off the road, 2nd the one right next to the ticket booth, again off the road. If you park in the side of the road be aware there will be guys who will "Take care" of your car for 4 bucks.

I hope it helps

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 58
5. Re: Watch out for parking scam

While i was at beach. I didnt mind paying a few dollars to make sure car was safe.

At least there not standing on the side of the road begging foe monlike they do on Seattle

Manuel Antonio
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
6. Re: Watch out for parking scam

Nature Guide covered this topic very well in the Top Questions about Manuel Antonio. Here is the thread again to help visitors avoid these problems!!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g309274-i2022-k226…

7. Re: Watch out for parking scam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 11, 2013