We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White Water Rafting - Savegre or Naranjo

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Antonio, Texas
reviews: 9
White Water Rafting - Savegre or Naranjo

Does anyone have a preference between a 4 1/2 hour trip on the Naranjo vs a 7 1/2 hour trip on the Savegre? We are late 20's in decent shape but definitely not experience rafters. My husband has been once in Costa Rica 10 years ago and I've never been.

Thanks!

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
1. Re: White Water Rafting - Savegre or Naranjo

The Naranjo is a Class III and IV river. The Savegre is mostly II and III. The higher the class, the more water flow and more difficult it becomes. You should be in reasonable shape if going on the Naranjo. If you decide on the Naranjo and get there and are unsure, ask to sit towards the back of the boat, which will be a much calmer ride than the front.

Manuel Antonio
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
2. Re: White Water Rafting - Savegre or Naranjo

Most say the Naranjo is more challenging when the water level is up. I personally enjoy the Savegre with the hike to waterfalls, a nice lunch along the tour and plenty of challenging rapids. Either one is fun though. Enjoy!

San Jose, Costa Rica
3. Re: White Water Rafting - Savegre or Naranjo

Both are great but Naranjo is for experienced rafters as it is more difficult.

Melbourne, Florida
reviews: 75
4. Re: White Water Rafting - Savegre or Naranjo

I went on the Naranjo a few years back. It was everyone in the groups first time white water rafting, so we were definitely NOT experienced. We are all young and in good shape. When we hit the second big rapid, we all fell out of the boat. Half of us thought this was awesome, the other half...not so much. haha.

San Jose, Costa Rica
5. Re: White Water Rafting - Savegre or Naranjo

I like better Savegre...nice river...nice short rapids...Naranjo is more technical...but also nice...some great short rapids...we use to guide there many years ago...starting from what iis Rafiky lodge today...such a nice road ride..

roadadvisor

Manuel Antonio...
reviews: 38
6. Re: White Water Rafting - Savegre or Naranjo

We use Amigos del Rio and Rifiki......on the Savegre......both companies are excellent......the river is a great choice with your experience levels......you'll get action/adventure and a nice smooth ride at times.....plus lunch and a waterfall trip!

Enjoy....

Tulemar Dave

CT
reviews: 20
7. Re: White Water Rafting - Savegre or Naranjo

We did this trip a week ago on the Savegre, and thought it was a lot of fun and reasonably challenging. Enough rapids to pay attention to what you are doing, yet enough down time to enjoy the scenery.

Have not done the Naranjo, so can't compare the two. We have rafted the Pacuare, and thought that was pretty challenging during the green season, but didn't feel we could simply sit back and enjoy it much as the Savegre.

Gilroy, California
8. Re: White Water Rafting - Savegre or Naranjo

We did Savegre yesterday, and it was very fun and definitely challenging. I don't think I would have enjoyed larger rapids. it was the best thing we have done in Costa Rica so far....

9. Re: White Water Rafting - Savegre or Naranjo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 22, 2013