We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of booking with Escape Villas

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 20
Beware of booking with Escape Villas

We rented a house for our family a few months ago through Fernando at Escape Villas. The contract stated that there were 4 bedrooms in the home. When we got there we saw that there were only 3 bedrooms in the house. Fernando at Escape Villas claimed that because there was a downstairs apartment with additional bedrooms, he fulfilled his contract. However, the apartment with the additional bedrooms is a separate residence, with a separate entrance down some steep and dark stairs. This situation is unsuitable for a family with kids and one of my kids had to sleep on the sofa in the living room. Escape Villas has been unwilling to offer us a fair refund for this inconvenience.

San Jose, Costa Rica
1. Re: Beware of booking with Escape Villas

Good to know,,,some fake travel agents are just like him...they care about MONEY...only MONEY!

SORRY

roadadvisor

Manuel Antonio
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
2. Re: Beware of booking with Escape Villas

Sorry to hear that, as that detail should be spelled out clearly on the homes listing and/or in the contracts you sign before renting a private home..... especially when it is for a family. I hope you still enjoyed Costa Rica!

CALI
reviews: 12
3. Re: Beware of booking with Escape Villas

Did he acknowledge the misunderstanding or do you think he outright lied. Sometimes a detail like this is big for one side and the other side does not think its that big of a deal. I am not saying Escape Villas is right, just wanted to know if he was apologetic in any way.

San Jose, Costa Rica
4. Re: Beware of booking with Escape Villas

I am sorry for what happened to you I can just imagine your frustration. They should have told you it was a 3 bedroom house and not four. Thanks for sharing.

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park, Jaco
reviews: 62
5. Re: Beware of booking with Escape Villas

Would it be acceptable to mention the name of this property so that other families are not so unpleasantly surprised. I know other houses and condos have similar set-ups (to accommodate a couple up to a large group) so your post is truly valuable to those looking for family accommodations in the area. Thanks, Lisa

San Jose, Costa Rica
6. Re: Beware of booking with Escape Villas

This is an unfortunate result of miscommunication. The client did not inquire about something that was obviously very important to her: the layout of the bedrooms. When she made the reservation there were other house options offered to her, in the same price range, that would have accommodated her needs had they been expressed.

Escape Villas does not own this house. The owner refused to refund any money because it is in fact a 4 bedroom house, and therefore the contract was honored. Escape Villas did offer a refund of $250. which she refused to accept. We regret that this happened, and hope it may serve as a reminder that when looking for a rental house please make sure to ask about details that may be important to you.

Chicago, Illinois
7. Re: Beware of booking with Escape Villas

The only acknowledgement was that he considered the house to be a 4 bedroom house, in spite of the 4th bedroom being in a separate apartment. There was no apology, only an insistence that he was right.

Chicago, Illinois
8. Re: Beware of booking with Escape Villas

The house is the Casa de Agua in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica. The current listing states both 3 bedrooms and 4 bedrooms, in different places on the listing.

New York City, New...
9. Re: Beware of booking with Escape Villas

They never refunded out deposit. We had a 3 am pick up the manger assured us she would do the finall walk through and did not. We are out the deposit fee one year later. Called many times but no response

San Jose, Costa Rica
10. Re: Beware of booking with Escape Villas

Hello Gooo Z,

It sounds as though this happened a long time ago, but we'd like to get more information about your stay in the hopes of clearing up your deposit situation. We ALWAYS return deposits. However, we do work with thousands of rentals per year so it is possible that one could slip through the cracks. We apologize if your checkout did not go smoothly. Can you please contact me directly at karen@escapevillas.com with the specifics of your stay - house name, name of reservation, number of people in the group and dates? From there we can review our records and rectify if possible.

Thank you.

Get answers to your questions about Manuel Antonio...